mini compass for computer wrist strap?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Splitlip

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Since Palm Beach drift diving does not require much in the way of navigation skills, I would like to shed the compass in my console and get something similar to the little jobs Scubapro has on their wrist computers. I'll be checking around with SP dealers tomorrow , but I can't believe somebody is not marketing them. I have checked Scubatoys web site and will call them tomorrow as well.
Anyone know if something like this is available?
thanks

I've seen them in a dive shop in Plano, Texas, so I know they're available. If you don't find one, PM me and I'll give you the number to the shop and they may be able to ship you one. I'm sorry, but I don't remember the brand or price.

Had 2 of them and they both would stick. They are cool looking but did not function too well. I like a full compass on the back of my mini gauges better.

the underwater pressure will restrict the floating plate to rotate freely and even stick to the base of the compass. Good only for general direction, if were to use for navigation then it is highly unreliable as the diveation will magnify with distance travelled. There is one from Scubapro or Uwatech - US$70, that has a convex glass top, it will work better but is still not as good as a true underwater compass and very pricy considering that it can't be use for accurate navigation. It certainly look cool to have one on the wrist strip. I have one from Suunto US$12 but is use mainly on land and for a quick general direction check only, very useful if that is all you need.:wink: It is always better to know where you are heading then totally LOST ! :D

I've got one that came with my Uwatec Smart Tec. I never use it because it is all but useless.

To me a Suunto SK-7 compass in a Deep Sea Supply boot is the best of all worlds. The SK-7 is by far the best compass out there and the DSS boot makes it a pretty light and compact setup.

I find a wrist compass far outweighs the use of a console; which I have, But the wrist is a quick read and uyou are looking forward not down. Just remember to strap it on, which is sometimes tricky for those of us up north with 7MM gloves.

I don't know about manfacturers, but I think an inexpensive one say less than $50 is the way to go for most divers. It light weight and you can use it in a boat or even a car for those amoung us who ocassionally get misdirected.

Thanks all.
I think I am going to try the Suunto clipper for $10.00.
I recognize that this and the other minis won't be accurate for navigating. However, where i normally dive, the ledges run north to south, the current usually runs north and viz is good. So natural navigation is it. besides, upon surfacing, I always seem to come up pretty close to the boat. :wink: (drift dive)
I have needed my compass when there was little or no current and needed to go east or west to pick up the ledge. Never more than a glance at my console.
I already have a wrist mount for my compass, but as I get seasick, putting it on is one more task I prefer not to deal with. The reason I want it off my console is because it is big dangly that gets in my way when I gear up. The depth guage is already gone as I have a wrist computer and a casio watch that acts as a timer and depth guage. I use one of those Oceanic scuba scout consoles with SPG and compass only.
$70 though I won't spend.
Firefyter, I will PM.
Thanks again.

hope you find our two cent worth usefull in helping you to make a decision :coffee: Happy and Safe diving!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom