airtrim, good or bad???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mizzia

Reaction score
its just that these new airtrim and airlock things seem to be just plain attractions to make people buy. Are there any good in them or not???

I can't figure out why anybody would want them. How difficult is it to strap your tank on your BC?

And if I remember right, it's not cheap.

I tried a BC with "Airtrim" in the pool. It was pretty neat.
It was strange to leave my hands in one place, and to not need to use the corrugated hose or any dumps.

Did I buy one?? No, The more frills and toys you have, the more you have that can go wrong!!

detroit diver once bubbled...
I can't figure out why anybody would want them. How difficult is it to strap your tank on your BC?

And if I remember right, it's not cheap.

There are those that have problems with the Cam Buckle, but that's another thread.

IMHO they are failure points and an accident waiting to happen.

Don

Okay, maybe I'm confused (or some would say that's it's a given). Is the airtrim the thing that locks your tank on with an inflator hose? Or is it the thing that supposedly controls your position in the water column?

Too many gadgets.....

Is the one that "controls" your position in the water column.

Thanks ID. In that case, ignore the "strap the tank on" comment!!

I think that this things a bigger joke than the cam buckle thing. Imagine the electronics going wacky on this-

up, down, down, up, up, down, down, down, down, down......

What if you fin up to look at something? It would dump air. Once you stopped, you would sink like a rock. If you finned down, it would add air and when you stopped you would shoot back up.

detroit diver once bubbled...
Thanks ID. In that case, ignore the "strap the tank on" comment!!

I think that this things a bigger joke than the cam buckle thing. Imagine the electronics going wacky on this-

up, down, down, up, up, down, down, down, down, down......

What if you fin up to look at something? It would dump air. Once you stopped, you would sink like a rock. If you finned down, it would add air and when you stopped you would shoot back up.

It doesn't work like that. there is a controler on the left side of the jacket. it has two buttons on it, one adds air, the other opens dual shoulder dumps.

also it's not electronic.

The "airlock" is the camband tightening device, I can't see that either.

If it's not electronic, how do the buttons work?

.....to verify.
It's been a while since I researched it. I think the buttons operate valves, that probably work with air pressure.

example:
You push a button on your inflator hose to add air to your wing right?? it's not electronic.
That's the easy one to figure out. the other one somehow opens the shoulder dumps. I'll try Mares website again tommoro if I get more info I'll post it here.

Still, it's a bunch more stuff that can go wrong.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom