Covering lead weights....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billeelou

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Goofy question, probably too late for me but anyway here goes. After using Lead weights for a number of years( I do not like integrated weight Bc's) I was thinking, if lead paint can get to be a problem, what is handling all that lead around my waist doing for/to me?

Not having access to a rubber dipping vat around the homestead, I thought that maybe a paint job would seal in the lead and not expose myself to anymore( thereby taking the "crazy" excuse away) . I wonder if anyone else has tried this....:confused:
My thought was to use a automotive primer and then a flourescent over that, at least that way I would be more visable and cover the lead too...

My experience with painting dive gear is don't. It never lasts and chips or flakes off. I use hard weights in my integrated bc and just make sure you wash your hands after handling them.

Charles

you can find vinyl covered hard weights or you can buy the liquid "tool dip" that they sell at hardware stores and dip the weights.

dumpsterDiver:
you can find vinyl covered hard weights or you can buy the liquid "tool dip" that they sell at hardware stores and dip the weights.

Sweet idea. I never thought about that. I realize we should just "wash our hands," but sometimes we forget, or we handle them at the dive site followed by eating a snack, etc.

I've been planning on covering them up somehow, but I might look into this option. Quickly looking online, there is a product called plasti-dip that you can dip or spray on:
http://www.plastidip.com/consumer/products.html

What do others think of this idea?

- ChillyWaters

I haven't used it on weights but it works great on the tools I used it on. Should be fine if you prep the surfaces. I'm not sure if you have to or not.

Better yet, don't lick or chew on the weights and you really don't have a problem. Lead is another one of those grossly over worried about problems.

I have used the Plastidip on my downrigger balls for fishing. I made these balls from the same lead that I used to make my diving weights. The finish has held up very well for over 12 years. Sometime this summer, I plan on doing my belt weights.

Lead is not the danger to adults that it is to children. Don't lick or chew your weights and you will be fine, same with a microwave oven, don't stick you head in them and turn them on, it might not be healthy. N

Nemrod:
Lead is not the danger to adults that it is to children.. N

...... as long as it does not involve someones elses wife. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom