Thursday 15th June, 2006 - Weigh-in

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

almitywife

Vegemite Mod
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
again, the world turns faster on this side of the world so i get to start the thread!

i had a huge week.. went swimming twice and went for 4 x 1hr walks, havent had a coke in about a month now and so far avoiding all the fatty, creamy, sugary, buttery foods that dont love me.

this weeks loss 4.6kgs or 10lbs!!

again, im sure its coming off in the wrong places as i see my twins (and not the tank kind) getting smaller.

total loss to date: 16.1kgs or 35lbs

hope everyone else has some news to post

cheers,

Congrats Almity :).

Very good Almity!

I did well this week too. Down 5lb to 226. Now I have to survive a guys trip to Malone this weekend.

I am offically on a plateau. Stuck. Need a jump start to get the weight loss going again. I think I am eating to many carbs and not enough protein. Also have added my trigger food (suga) into my diet and it is coming to haunt me. Need to remove it from my intake list.

Right after we got home from a caribbean cruise in January I decided I needed to make a lifestyle change. I'm 6'1 and was at 270 lbs. 50 inches at the belly, 47 waist, chest 46.

I am a rather muscular person to begin with given my line of work I guess, but 270 was unacceptable. So far I have lost 7 inchess from my belly measurement, chest is at 44, waist is now a 38 and I am down to 235, still sticking to it. We are planning another Bahamas cruise in Oct. and I'd like to get down to 225 by then.

Jenny,

Processed sugars are the worst. Those are just empty calories! If you want to see what your balance between carbs, proteins and fats are, get a free account at www.fitday.com and start tracking your intake. It is amazing once you actually see what you are eating! Stick with it. When you reach a plateau, a change is usually required to jump start things again. Another good tip is to get your calaroies early in the day and spread them out a bit over 5-6 meals.

Steve,

Wow, that's amazing! 10 punds should be doable. That's my goal for the end of this month, 225. I only have 1 pound to go, but a bad weekend approaches...

Thanks. I no longer drink coffee. Had about 8oz of any type of carbonated beverage since march 1. I read ingredients and don't eat stuff if the first two (sometimes the first 3) ingredients are a sugar product. However, I have stumbled and had some M&M's yesterday. Once started, it was really hard to quit. Got to find that will power again.
Also, for the most part only eat wheat (not enriched wheat) products, lots of fruit and veggies, and drink somewhere close to a gallon of water a day.
So, how do I jumpstart the weight loss again?

I think you are right. You need to get some protien in your diet. One of the nice things about FitDay is that it has a graph when you enter your foods that tells you the breakdown of where your calories are coming from. Too many Carbs is not good. You still need some calories from fat and protein as your body will transform carbs to sugar, at least I think it does that, and stores them. I'm steadily losing weight and I am eating 2 scrambled eggs, a saugage, fruit and a Bran Buds cereal with skim milk and honey every day, except for my two workout days, for breakfast. It's a bunch of calories that help my body get going for the day. I then have a snack a couple hours later, lunch (a turkey sandwich most days with fruit and a vegetable), an apple mid-afternoon, and then a light dinner as I'm not usually very hungry. I even have a snack watching TV, light popcorn, maybe some fruit. And Sundays is my day :D

Fruit and some vegetables are high in sugar, and although it's natural, it's still carbs and you need to count all of it.

There's also some excellent, low-carb protein drinks out there. My current favourite is a banana-berry flavoured one. I will substitute that for dinner some nights when I have an activity after dinner, or in the mornings after my workout.

I make a smoothie almost every morning. I crush some ice, add a banana, then add either blueberries, blackberries or strawberries; add some fat free milk and 3 heaping teaspoons of Carnation Sugar Free Chocolate Instant Breakfast. Makes a big smoothie, but I am hungry a couple hours later. I have just toughed it out till lunch, but am rethinking that. By lunchtime I am starved.

OK, let's start from the top...

Banana - 138 calories/cup - 35g of carb with 3.6 g dietary fiber
Blueberries are excellent - 81.2 calories/cup - 20g of carb, 3.9g dietary fiber
Skim milk - 85 cal/cup - 11g carb, but also 8g of protein!
Instant Breakfast - 71 cal/envelope - 8 g carb, 7 g protein.

So with 1 cup of everything plus the instant breakfast, around 375 calories, almost all coming from carbs. That's a good amount of calories for the morning, but all carbs is bad. The carbs from dietary fibre is good though.

The protein drink I use is 160 calories /serving of which there is 0.5g fat, 1.5g carb and 40g protein. I usually just mix it with water, but you can add ice and or milk into the mix to get a smoothie. There are all kinds of flavours, I'm thinking of pickingup Lemonade for the summer :)

Also, I'm not a professional. These are things I have gotten from my nutritionalist. One other point is that I was made to have 5-6 smaller meals per day, with the largest calorie intack at breakfast. I don't think I have eaten so much in my life, but it is working as I am eating the right things.

A good nutritionlist will evaluate what you are eating and point you in the right direction. Other things I am now doing:

- No more frozen vegetables. I'm steaming all my vegetables fresh
- Organic if I can get it. This includes eggs, veggies and meat products. It's more expensive, but not too much.
- Cook in glass dishes if I have to microwave. Plastic may seep something (I still us plastic once in a while)
Add fish into the diet. I have an excellent recipe for baked white fish with lemon and rosemary if you would like it.

Again, this whole thing is a lifestyle change. I was up to 275 at one point, and was actually down to 225 last year. I slipped and within a few months settled in at over 255. Now 30 pounds lighter, I'm always thinking as to what i am eating, how I'm preparing it. And I'm never going back :)

Back
Top Bottom