Oceanic VT3 versus Suunto Vytec - the good and the bad!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

simonc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Dear Boaders,

I was looking at purchasing a new dive computer and have narrow the decision down to a Suunto Vytec or an Oceanic VT3. Can anyone help with the pros and cons???

Thanks,

SimonC

Can't speak to the Oceanic, as I'm a Suunto honk.

The good for Suunto Vytec: Reliable, rugged, easy to use, intuitive (read: narc friendly), gas switchable, lots of memory, can be downloaded to PC, the Tobin Boot, user replacable batt, transmitter never loses synch, blah blah... it just friggen works!

The bad for the Suunto: it accrues deco at the same rate as the Aeris (presumably the same rate as the Oceanic) but it DOES NOT CREDIT you any time until you get to 15 feet... so even as you ascent during your very reasonable profile, you will not be credited for your good dive plan. You still accrue deco time (meaning you run out of NDL time) until you hit 15 feet. This is the feature I like least about my Vytec.

So if your buddy is diving something else (say Aeris) you both accrue deco at the same rate until you start to ascent - then your buddy begins to credit NDL time while me with the Suunto shows a 12 minute deco obligation at 20 feet, while buddy shows a 40 minute NDL (or whatever...) GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....

All else is a go. Hundreds and hundreds of tough, SoCal cold water dives and never an in water failure. I love it.

---
Ken

I have a VT pro. This is actually my 2nd one, the first lost communication between the transmitter and receiver during a dive, not a good thing. Fortunately Oceanic sent me a new one before receiving the defective one so I could make my dive the coming weekend with it. The only other problem I have had with it is that I have had to hit the reset button on my transmitter once before a dive. Other than that it's been a pretty good computer, It's my first so I couldn't really compare it to anything else.

Back
Top Bottom