Atmos Elite versus Suunto Vytec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Mighty Thor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
New diver. Want Air integration. Like the Suunto but expensive and many features I won't use. Elite is the right price but can't make more conservative. Discuss?

nevermind-brain fart... I know what your asking - can't you adjust your PO2 settings?

You can adjust PO2 on the elite. You can adjust the alarm for nitrogen loading to warn yourself when you hit the edge of the green or farther so in a way you can make the Elite more conservative. You can't make it more conservative by changing the algorithm.

Control your computer, not the other way around. Just dive the Elite to the green dots and don't go past if that makes you feel better. The conservativism on the Suunto would frankly bug me on a week long vacation and I have seen others with a mandatory deco obligation after repetitive dives with the Suunto while the Elite didn't. Add you own cushion if you want, don't rely on a computer to do it for you. Good thread on the pros and cons of Suunto's conservativism going on now in this forum. Check it out.

They are both very feature full and reliable computers. I agree, the Suunto has a few extra features that are somewhat useless for the MAJORITY of recreational divers so why pay 200 extra for them. JMHO's. Have fun with whatever you get! You will!

There's no statistical reason that you need to "make" your Elite more conservative. If YOU choose to dive a more conservative profile, you can definitely do that, but if you want to dive within the limits of the Elite, you can do that too...both are safe choices.

I chose an Aeris AI because I didn't want the forced conservatism that Suunto often places on a diver. I prefer to decide how conservative I want to be and dive within my own limits, not the ones the computer sets for me. The fact that the Aeris/Oceanic algorithm is easily within recreational dive limits, based on proven science, and that there's no correlation between type of computer and DCS rates, only adds to MY comfort zone with my Aeris.

Remember, your computer is simply a tool, it's up to you how you use it.

I went with the Aeris Elite with AI, and got a great price on it. I haven't used it yet but I realize now that I can change all of the alarms to make it more or less conservative. Thanks for all of your input. I think I made the right choice, and I used the money I would have spent on the Suunto to buy a new BC. Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom