Trip Report - Redneck Riviera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paulwall

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, it's time a dive buddy of SuPrBuGmAn posts his experiences of the trauma of diving with such a "young turk (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_Turk)" of scubaboard.

But first the rest of the story.

Drove down to Gulf Shores/Ft. Morgan on 6/10 to a rental house way out on West Beach.

Had a 3-tank boat trip booked for 6/11. Talked to the captain who said we should meet at MBT at 8am. Headed out around 9:00 to launch the boat at the Navy Base. Had the ignition fixed on the boat by 10:00, and headed for the Oriskany at 35kts (cool, huh? The day was looking up). 30 minutes later, 16 miles out, the prop bushing shreds and we are crippled and chuck the Oriskany dive. Headed for the Pete Tide 6 miles away at 5kts. Stopped twice due to the other engine overheating. Finally got to the Pete Tide and the Capt suits up and drops over to set the anchor. Comes back 20 mins later saying vis was so bad, he couldn't see the wreck - the trip was free. Headed back to the dock (at 5kts) and loaded the boat up to go back to MBT. Capt. apologized for the sucky time on the water. My response was "At one point, all I was hoping for was to get back to the dock, which you accomplished, so I'm fine."

Ok, so now I have to 3000psi EAN32 tanks paid for that I'd hate to return unused. I had planned to meet Trever on Monday in Destin, but I didn't hear from him, and didn't really care to drive all that way, so I started snorkelling off the beach, until It was time to return Gary's tanks. Vis was excellent (15-20') and I got to thinking about those two tanks. "Self" I said, "it's 15 feet deep here with pretty good vis, how about burning a tank?". Well, I thought that was a fine idea, so out to the truck, grab the already-rigged tank and walk back to the water. I piddled around in 15ft for a while, and then started heading East. I came across a huge sheepshead next to a rectangular "cinder block". Then I noticed another a little further on. Then, a school of spadefish flashed by, as well as some baitfish. I found a shaft and some supports, then a prop attached to a shaft, attached to a transmission under some outriggers with other metal and wood debris (including hurricane/beach debris). Shrimp nets draped everything and disappeared into the sand. Hemp and steel rigging was also present everywhere, but none of this posed an entanglement hazard, unless you were determined to get caught in it. Swimming above it, I saw a scary big flounder (as big as a skimboard) who high-tailed it out of there. Also several smaller (but very legal) flounder. The site was about 30' x 30' and had multiple levels of debris, and more buried in the sand. I puttered around there for a while (over an hour) and then headed in as the vis started dropping and I was getting cold.

So, on Tuesday, I still hadn't returned Gary's tanks. I had planned to meet up with Phil(Hobie14T) and Phil (speedbirdmob) to catch the tides at Alabama Point. I had a confirming voicemail on where to meet at 7am(They had to leave mobile by 5:30) I left at 6:30. I got to the parking area first and was geared up and waiting when they arrived shortly after. After an equipment repair we walked to the entry and did a final gear check. Vis was not great (5-10' and cloudy) and I lost sight of the Phils a few times. I had the flag, so it was they who were lost. Swam to the end of the jetty, where the tide got wonky (pushing both west and north depending on where you were swimming). Phil x 2 were spearfishing, and vis was much better (15-20') at the end of the jetty. Not wanting to face the long walk back to the parking area if I turned the point, I turned back and headed toward our entry point. I played with an octopus, several stone and blue crabs. I saw the 20lb Goliath Grouper and tons of spadefish and small snapper. I never saw Phil or Phil. I made it back to the parking area. Max depth 23ft, temps 74-82*, 63 mins dive time. Got back to the parking area, switched tanks, and waited for the intrepid spearfishermen. I looked back towards the end of the jetties on the beach and could make out two black specs moving in my direction. It was speedbirdmob and Hobie14T, come to rejoin me. They wanted to go again after switching over. So we did, same profile, but more fishermen on the jetties meant more entaglement hazards (ask Phil) more foulings with the flag (ask me) and more variable visibility. They lost me again, and again I returned to the entry point, and they made the beach walk back. Another hour on the jetties.

So, now they wanted to do the Whiskey Wreck (before lunch). We drove down to Bahama Bobs and luckily found parking in the public beach parking lot. I gave a dive briefing with the caveat "I've only been on this wreck once, with SuPrBuGmAn and he navigated". Well, I ended up well east and south of the wreck while Phil and Phil found it easily. Phil came and got me (after all, I had the flag) and we proceeded to circle the wreck in search of prey. I let them do their own thing and I really was amazed at how much the Whiskey is exposed, compared to my trip earlier in the year. Vis was 5'-15', better near the surface, and the spadefish, a couple of cobia, small snapper, small amberjack, blennies, sea robins, and tropicals were everywhere. I snuck up on a fish buried in the sand I was sure was a small flounder. I reached out to grab it (because it was too small to spear) and discovered that it was an electric skate. YOOOOOW! That'll wake you up! Phil x 2 didn't see or hear me but said they would pay money next time I wanted to do that. 65 mins, max depth 16ft, 78*.

So, we showered off, and headed to Mat's favorite dining establishment for wings and beer. Thanks Phil and Phil! I called Mat on his cell and told him about the dives and my newfound wreck. We made plans to dive it that night. (I returned Gary's tanks and got mine filled).

So, that evening (Still Tuesday), Mat pulls up in the Bronco of Doom and we gear up. Matt hands me his old pole spear (the bent one with the weak band and the dull tip :D ) so we can go after some flounder. We gear up and head to the beach. I had snorkelled and marked it earlier for easier access in the twilight. Mat only had 1/2 tank of air, but it was just an exploratory dive so he was ok with that (he really gets his o2 from the water and red bull, anyway). We found the wreck easily, vis was very good, and Mat saw the scary big flounder, but couldn't get a shot. We examined the prop, the debris, and I heard Mat's polespear twanging regularly. We dove for about 45mins, brought back 4 lobster and a very excited Mat. (This is the first time I exited the water with more air than Mat - he was that excited about the new "wreck" and flounderzilla). 74*, 15ft max.

No diving wednesday. The rest of the week coming soon.

Took Wednesday off, and Most of Thursday which was supposed to be a springs trip, but I again didn't feel like driving to dive by myself, so I waited to join up with the bugman and bill L to dive the Whiskey Thursday PM. This was to be my first real night dive (*I had expected to start it as a twilight dive, but we didn't hit the water until after sunset).

I had my 3-C Pelican LED, Bill and Mat each had some dim incandescent 8 cell lights that I couldn't see from 15ft away. I did a (slow) surface swim out on my back and eventually found the wreck, and tied off my flag. I ducked under the wreck and started following the nearest guy, until I realized he was part of the big group that had entered before us. He was all bedecked with glow tubes, and little flashing strobes and kind of looked like the alien space ship from the abyss. So, I hung out on the wreck, in the dark looking for Mat and Bill's lights in 5-10' vis of dark water. Finally, I got freaked out enough to surface, and lo and behold! Mat was on the surface, too, looking for Bill, who kept getting lost, apparently (I wasn't lost, I had the flag, remember). Anyway, Bill got some flounder for his family, I got to do a night dive on the whiskey, and dove with friends.

Back
Top Bottom