Madison AL Aquatic Park Reopens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ltstanfo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I just wanted to let everyone know that the quarry located in Madison, AL (just outside of Huntsville) will reopen this Saturday (17 June). This quarry was formerly operated by Rock Divers (out of business) on behalf of the city of Madison.

PLEASE NOTE: The rules for diving at this location have changed for the balance of 2006. You cannot simply show up and dive. You now have to pre-register with a local dive shop or instructor and pre-pay. I don't know all of the details but for more information on this you can check out Southeastern Divers. I am only providing this link as a source of information for diving at the Madison quarry.

I'm glad that area divers will have a local facility to dive in again. Nashville and Birmingham are great locations to visit and dive but the mileage and $$ adds up fast.

Lee Stanford
Huntsville, AL

guys...

bear with them on this transistion. THe land deal was just passed by the city council this past monday, so they've got a lot to do for opening a quarry before the weekend.

The reason for the limited access has to do with the water board is not wanting unlimited general access to the quarry until they are finished their testing. They don't want to exclude classes though for public safety divers or other scuba classes from training so they agreed to this for this year. Next year will be a different story and will be defined later.

They actually plan on opening the quarry as many weekends as they can, through local shops or instructors with insurance. Bill plans on having it opened at least every other weekend, maybe more depending on demand. So check with your local shop to see if they have a weekend scheduled. SDI is just the first shop to register for this.

Les is right though... you will have to pre register and pre pay. If you're not pre registered, you'll show up and be turned away.

So... keep in mind that although all facilities will be up and running there, they are trying their best to get the place open for us. So bear with them.

-mike

Mike,

I hope I did not give the wrong impression. I am not complaining about the current situation. I understand that alot has to be done to reopen the park. I have no problem with the current rules...I just wanted to make sure that everyone else was aware of them in advance so there would be no hard feelings if someone just showed up and was turned away.

I'm just happy to have a local place to dive again!

Regards,
Lee Stanford
"Ltstanfo"

Lee, I didn't mean to imply that about you. My aplogies to you and everyone if it did.

I was addressing everyone. It's going to be great to have a place to dive again locally.... just mostly a FYI to everyone who is not familiar with what is happening to bear with the transistion.

If I wasn't "stuck" down here diving in the ocean (sarcasm implied) I'd be up there this weekend diving in the quarry!

i'm just thrilled to hear it is going to open at all !!!!! it is the nearest and cleanest quarry in north alabama to me. good luck and i'll be there some time in the next few weeks. any way you can post what local shops are going to be diving it on what weekends?

bud

I used to dive there because it is only 2-1/2 hours from me. Are there any restrictions as to equipment such as doubles?

TheRedHead:
I used to dive there because it is only 2-1/2 hours from me. Are there any restrictions as to equipment such as doubles?

In past years there were no restrictions such as doubles, etc. I've seen people diving doubles, rebreathers, surface supplied, even someone who had somehow manifolded together 3 or 4 pony bottles into some weird contraption...

it's actually a great place to practice stuff like doubles setups

The one obvious thing that is being skipped here is a check list of how to go dive there.
1)call 555.555.5555
2) tell john doe your party name
3) give john doe your credit card
4) thank them for reopening
5) show up and dive

Someone should post specific directions as to the procedure to dive there. I would but I don’t know what the procedure is.

Does anyone know what happened to Earl Lindsey who used to manage Rock Divers?

steelslinger,

You'll have to contact the dive shop that is operating the quarry for that weekend.

Right now... SDI is the only shop offer doing "quarry trips". I expect that Dive Sports and MTSS will be doing them also sometime.

to contact SDI, see http://www.sdiscuba.com. You must be pre-registerd with them to dive.

The quarry will most likely have a dive page to let you know which shops are offereing "quarry trips" for certain weekends, but right now SDI is it. they have the dates on their page. If the quarry doesn't (or can't per agreement) do a web page, then I'll check with the local scuba club about doing a page as non-advertising "diver service" so that you'll know what shops are offering "quarry trips" for which weekends.

Earl is still in the HSV area from what I've been told. I'm betting that you will see him around there still some.

-mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom