Is my compass defective?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ronniemu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I own a Sherwood Wisdom dive computer with a compass. There is an air bubble in the compass which I don't recall being there. Does anyone know if the air bubble is a defect with my compass? THANKS, Ronnie

Ronniemu:
I own a Sherwood Wisdom dive computer with a compass. There is an air bubble in the compass which I don't recall being there. Does anyone know if the air bubble is a defect with my compass? THANKS, Ronnie

The compass should not have air inside of it. So yes, this is a defect. But the question is, Does this defect effect it's operation? I had a compass with a small air bubble once and the bubble helped me to know when I was holding it level and might have been actually helpfull. But the air means some of the fluid has leaked out and maybe some more will leak out over time.

There is an air buble in every liquid filled compass I've ever seen.

mfalco:
There is an air buble in every liquid filled compass I've ever seen.

Ditto:D

While a "small" bubble may be construed by some as a "defect", I perceive it as an additional gauge . . . one for making sure that your compass is level and is not being impeded in its movement by being tilted too greatly.

Most compasses, when new, won't have a bubble. Changing pressures, just like nitrogen coming out of one's system when surfacing, will cause microscopic bubbles to combine and create a larger bubble.

It's really to your benefit. When using your compass, make sure the bubble is somewhere near the center of the window and you can be assured that your compass should be rotating freely.

the K

I'm not a gambling man, but . . . wanna bet !!!!
(Hint - the only thing I bet on is a sure thing. It's not a bet, it's an investment.)

the K

I hear they don't work on scooters...off topic. Interference from engine rotations..or something? I have never seen a bubble in my Suunto, now I have to go look.

Ronniemu:
It's a defect when it gets big enough that,when trapped underneath the rotating compass card, that it forces it off to one side and make it stick.

So far I've replaced one compass where the bubble had grown to the point it was unreliable, and the replacement has developed a bubble which continues to grow.

Test it by tilting the compass on the side and working all of the air up into a bubble. Then flip it back rightside up suddenly, trapping all of the air under the card. If it works, you're still in business. Get a new compass module if it no longer rotates smoothly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom