• Almost always (or always)

Votes: 62 71.3%
  • When I think I'll need it

Votes: 15 17.2%
  • almost never (or never)

Votes: 10 11.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mfalco

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Do you usually have a compass when you dive?

My dive buddy doesn't dive with one, so I usually feel like I'm a DM leading him around.

yes always.

No, I don't. But then most of my dives don't require a compass.

A diver's kit is dependent upon the nature of the dive, and the associated components required by that dive.

Wreck dives - usually tied off to the wreck. A compass doesn't work too good when surrounded by steel on all sides.

Drift dives - one descends to the specified depth and simply "goes with the flow".

Shore dives - a compass can be quite handy if one wants to return and exit at the same spot at which the dive was initiated.

Just some examples . . .

the K

mfalco:
Do you usually have a compass when you dive?

My dive buddy doesn't dive with one, so I usually feel like I'm a DM leading him around.

Well....... that should say enough to you, shouldn't it?

R..

I usually have mine in a BC pocket on a slate. I don't always have a need to use it, but it does not weigh much or take up room that I would otherwise need for something else.

Our visibility is so poor that shore dives done here almost require a compass, unless one is so familiar with the landmarks of the site that one can navigate using them. Even when boat diving, one is often instructed to drop and swim "x" degrees to "y" depth to find the wall or whatever the attraction is. So the answer is that I always use my compass.

Beach diving here is almost the exact opposite. Additionaly, I am self learning natural navigation. The last 2 night dives I lead, and lead by natural navigation. Got us back pretty close to the starting point. No worse than others leading with a compass. I admit though, that like on land, some are more inutitive than others. You know the kind, they can't find their way out of a parking lot, or don't realize which way WEST is when they are staring that the sun in the evening.

Always. Not that I'd admit this to my girlfriend, but I don't have a good sense of direction. I need to pay close attention if I want to know where I am and the compass gives me great comfort. And sometimes the vis is so terrible that that I just wouldnt' be able to dive without it. I still get lost from time to time but I don't like to talk about that. :wink:

Well, when you dive a wreck, or you can see the entire site including all exits from any location in the water, I really don't feel the need. Actually, I don't yet own a compass. They seem to be kinda useless in the caverns and caves too if you're not surveying.

I'll buy one someday.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom