Transpac II VS Zeagle Ranger

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Ya its my first post so I may as well start a war :)

I have been reading a while now and searched for alot of info on BCD's and have narrowed it down to 2 the ranger or a transpack II.

I have found local dealers here in Southern California and both fit well above water. The Price is about $50 differance so is not a factor. I keep reading about rent this and rent that but I can't seem to locate a dive shop that rents anything other than low end stuff.

I am looking for any info to point me into witch is a better bc. I am not looking to get into a BP/Wings just yet and plan to do mostly recreational dives and mabey take some underwater hunting corses. I am sure some time in the future I will want to do wrecks and a very slim chance I will get into tech dives. I am fairly sure that most of my dive time will be in the socal area.

Anyone happen to have a Large Ranger or XL transpackII they want to unload :)

Thanks in advance for any helpful info you shoot my way :)

In short, the TP2 is modular so you can set it up with different wings from a 30# single tank only dealie all the way up to an inflatable boat. You can put integrated weight pockets on it, or leave them off. The TP2 can be more streamlined than a Ranger, depending on how you set it up. The TP2 is more versitile for tech applications. You might want to read up on that at Dive Rite's website.

OTOH, the Ranger is an all in one solution with an excellent warranty and you will see tons of them on dive boats.

I have a Ranger, and have been very happy with it, for the kind of diving I'm doing, now. (Single tank, rec) It is a bit bulky, compared to a bp/wings, and can trap air, but is well-made and does the job. When I bought it, I thought it would last me for years, and chose it, in part, because it can handle double tanks, and I may be diving those in the future. As it turns out, the Ranger isn't really well-suited for doubles, and I don't think any other true BC is, either. The Trans Pac II and the OMS IQ aren't really BC's, in the conventional sense; as leadweight said, (referring to the TP2, but also applies to the IQ, which you might want to check out) they're modular. They can grow with you more than a BC, because you can swap out wings. With the IQ, you can also add a back plate, and then if you decide to go the BP/wings route, you'll aready have everything but the harness. That's the way I wish I had gone the first time, but found this board too late. (Sigh)
Wanna buy my Ranger?:nod: (Kidding)

Sort of an apples to oranges comparison. The Zeagle is a BC; the Transpac is a harness to which you attach wings and things. For example, I have a TPII and travel wings and rec wings - I use the travel wings for singles and the rec wing for doubles. I have detachable weight pockets - I use them when diving singles and I don't when diving doubles. If I want to rig sidemount I can do that. The TPII is truly versatile - and comfortable.
Rick

I have to agree w/Rick. I have a TP II w/RecWings & love it. It fits me like a glove & is very easy to don & doff. It it also very easy to streamline. OTOH, my partner has an old Concept & Tech w/Ranger shoulder straps. These are both prototypes. He has 2 bladders w/the tech & one w/the Concept. All 3 bladders have failed in the same place, @ the connection to the power inflator.
I will says this for Zeagel though, he didn't want to call them, so I did. He sent all 3 back o/n & he got them back in 48 hrs, "@ NO CHARGE", in time for our dive on the Spiegel. So they (Zeagel) were really on the ball.
If that didn't confuse things more, I hope it helps.

David.

If you're going to dive. DiveRITE

A Picture says a thousand words...............

halcyon_pioneer_sideprofile01.jpg

Aquamaniac once bubbled...
A Picture says a thousand words...............

halcyon_pioneer_sideprofile01.jpg
Jeez...you had to do that didn't you. I've been going nuts all day today on whether or not to go ahead and order the Halcyon 36lb. rig. I currently have a Ranger. I really don't have the money right now but I really want it bad. I dove my buddy's Halcyon rig a couple weeks ago and I still have it and am going to dive it one more time tonight after work. I have a feeling that one more dive is gonna put me over the edge and make me order it up tomorrow.:wink:

GP once bubbled...

Jeez...you had to do that didn't you. I've been going nuts all day today on whether or not to go ahead and order the Halcyon 36lb. rig. I currently have a Ranger. I really don't have the money right now but I really want it bad. I dove my buddy's Halcyon rig a couple weeks ago and I still have it and am going to dive it one more time tonight after work. I have a feeling that one more dive is gonna put me over the edge and make me order it up tomorrow.:wink:

I love to point out that in all the ultra-streamlined looking Halcyon rig pics, the diver is never wearing any weight.

You have to forgive these guys who're dragging the Halcyon into a discussion about Zeagle and Transpac... they're helplessly hopelessly addicted & can't control themselves.
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom