Dive-Rite Duo Failure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stoo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I was diving a Duo on the weekend. Returning from 155' with 9 minutes of deco showing, the thing crapped out when I pressed the button to view the secondary screen. The display began to read nonsense... no depth reading, ascent rate gone etc. All that remained was two numbers that meant nothing as far as I could tell, as well as my total dive time (thankfully).

I continued my ascent, completed my deco without incident (guessing at depth etc.)

Because I dive "solo" almost always, I generally wear two computers, but of course I didn't this time. I am on the verge of buying a second Duo, since I am quite fond of it. The computer only has about 60 dives on it since I got it towards the end of last season. The battery was fine.

On surfacing, I waited to see if it would resolve itself, which it didn't. "Reset" didn't do anything, nor did removal/replacement of the battery.

I left it with my LDS to return, but before I buy a second one of these, I am wondering if anyone has had a similar experience.

Prior to switching to the Duo, I had used Aladdin Pros/Pro Nitrox computers for many hundreds of dives without incident... :shakehead

Any comments?

Stoo:
Returning from 155' with 9 minutes of deco showing, the thing crapped out... I continued my ascent, completed my deco without incident (guessing at depth etc.)

Because I dive "solo" almost always, I generally wear two computers, but of course I didn't this time.

Any comments?
How about that it's stupid to do deco dives without having a written plan to follow. You solo, depend on equipment and didn't have redundant equipment? Guessing isn't any way to do deco.

LOL... I appreciate your concern. I have probably about 3-400 dives on that wreck and could tell you within a few feet how deep I am. I always dive essentially the same profile. I have an O2 bottle hanging from my boat at 20', so I was well aware of my depth during deco. I suppose saying I was "guessing at depth" wasn't really accurate. I'm not sure how a written plan would have helped anyway. I knew what stops were required. I did have a watch as well, which I didn't mention.

At any rate, I wasn't actually after opinions on my diving technique. I have managed to survive 32 years and 3,500 dives without your input, but thanks anyway... :wink:

I take it you don't have an opinion on the reliability of the Duo?

Stoo:
LOL... I appreciate your concern. I have probably about 3-400 dives on that wreck and could tell you within a few feet how deep I am.

This would have been a phenomenal feat if done in open ocean without a wall or slope for reference in bad viz.

If you get your Duo fixed, why don't you get a wrist watch computer (Xtender, stinger, mosquito,nemo ) as a backup? At least you may like it enough to wear it everyday and not forget to bring it on you dive trips.

Twomixdiver:
This would have been a phenomenal feat if done in open ocean without a wall or slope for reference in bad viz...
Agreed. And I would never to that. This wreck runs down a steep slope from 60' to 155'. The vis was about 70'. As I mentioned, I "always" dive with two computers and a watch. This time, I had one computer and a watch and was in an area I am extremely familiar with. I dive it in the daytime, at night, on nice days, on crappy days, when it's warm, when it's cold.... Incidently, I didn't "forget" my second computer. I didn't have it because it is away having the battery replaced.

Again, I appreciate the concern and input, but all I really want to know is if this computer has a history of failure...

And before anyone else questions my "methods"... yes, twin tanks with isolator, yes, redundant bouyancy (drysuit/wings), two regs etc...

There have been several posted issues regarding the Dive Rite Duo.

As I recall, most have been fixed by Dive Rite under warranty, even when they were past warranty period, but you should check with your LDS or dealer for specifics.

Cave Diver:
There have been several posted issues regarding the Dive Rite Duo.

As I recall, most have been fixed by Dive Rite under warranty, even when they were past warranty period, but you should check with your LDS or dealer for specifics.
Interesting. Were these posts on here? The computer is back with Dive-Rite now, and I would hope to hear from them this week.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom