What kind of Scooter??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divepa

Contributor
Reaction score
I never really looked at scooters before.. but after having guys buzz around me at BainBridge all day I have decided to buy one next week. I would like to pick one up. I saw a nice apollo scooter today... and i'm thinking they are near $3,000. I have seen other scooters for like $500 but am assuming they are probably junk. Can I get some opinions?

thanks,

Mike

I did my DPV certification on a SeaDoo -- I can't remember the model name, but I believe it retailed for around $700.

divepa, if you want a recreational scooter, the SeaDoo should do nicely

it's not a tech scooter. in fact, it's not a "serious" scooter, but if what you want
is a cheap way to zip around and have fun in a single tank, not too fast, not too deep
(100 feet max), then the SeaDoo looks like a good candidate:

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/Cate...tock/DescSort_0/Filter_1=773/SDOSG.html?Hit=1

the Supercharged SeaDoo is about half a knot faster (allegedly). not sure
if worth the extra $100

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/SDOS...l&AdvSrchSortField=Relevance&SortDesc=0&Hit=1

Let me explain something. The SeaDoo type scooters use a small 12V geared Mabuchi/DustBuster type electric motor. The high dollar scooters use large direct drive 24V motors with variable pitch propellers. In comparison they make three to five times the thrust of the cheapo jobs, around 15 vs 50 to 75 lbs thrust.
I own two Tekna DPVs. They have the same direct drive motor, shroud and propeller found on those super expensive jobs. Of course not everyone is capable of getting something on ebay and then repairing it to working condition or perhaps may not be interested in doing so but like many things, there is no cheap route. N

Nemrod:
Let me explain something. The SeaDoo type scooters use a small 12V geared Mabuchi/DustBuster type electric motor. The high dollar scooters use large direct drive 24V motors with variable pitch propellers. In comparison they make three to five times the thrust of the cheapo jobs, around 15 vs 50 to 75 lbs thrust.
I own two Tekna DPVs. They have the same direct drive motor, shroud and propeller found on those super expensive jobs. Of course not everyone is capable of getting something on ebay and then repairing it to working condition or perhaps may not be interested in doing so but like many things, there is no cheap route. N

You're just jealous you spent so much money. :) You also didn't mention that the big high dollar scooters are also heavy and hard to lug around to the dive site. The seadoos are plenty for the average recreational diver.
http://stores.ebay.com/Atlantic-Water-Scooters-Inc
SeaDoo X151. 24 volt. $225

I've had my seadoo vs supercharged for 2 years now and have at least 15 dives on it with no problems.

jo8243:
You also didn't mention that the big high dollar scooters are also heavy and hard to lug around to the dive site.

So use an X-Scooter Sierra or a Gavin Mini-G...

Vie:
So use an X-Scooter Sierra or a Gavin Mini-G...

X-Scooter is $3,750.00 on ebay.

:eyecrazy:

I'd keep my $3500 and get the seadoo.

jo8243:
X-Scooter is $3,750.00 on ebay.

:eyecrazy:

I'd keep my $3500 and get the seadoo.

You get what you pay for.....

The X-Scooters are outstanding, I played with one the other day, almost half the weight and much smaller than the Gavins with some damn nice features :sappy:

Cheers
Chris

Back
Top Bottom