Dive operators in Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ppo2_diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
My fiance and I will be getting married in Maui next May. I'm already certified. She will be doing her OW referral dives in Maui. Does anyone know of a good dive operator to do this? I've read good things about Ed Robinson's. Rodale's had good things to say about the Scuba Shack. What are your opinions?

I would suggest that she do the referral dives with Maui Dreams Dive Co (www.mauidreamsdiveco.com) They do great shore dives and the staff are wonderful. That way she'll be sure to feel super comfortable and ready for boat diving -- once she's certified try Ed Robinson's for boat diving -- they are very professional or B & B is also good for boat diving but, while I think of Ed Robinson's as the 'luxury car', I think of B&B as more standard, efficient transportation.

I have not dived with SCUBA Shack... but I have heard less than stellar reviews -- sorry I don't have any details to share -- that is strictly at the rumor level.

Enjoy!

Liz

We have been Robinson fans for some time. His boats are large, but he divides the group into subgroups of 3 to 4 divers depending on the amount you are willing to pay. The DM's also give nice briefings prior to the dives, with photos and stories, etc. It is a nice touch.

Maui Dive Shop and Lahaina Divers offer a more "standard" package where you dive with about 7-8 divers.

We have never tired of the outer wall of Molokini. If you have good air consumption, the "loose buddy" system used by Ed Robinson will allow you to go a long way around the wall. And it is worth it! From white tip sharks, to the tiniest of cleaning shrimps, to showy turkey lionfish, to schools of various butterflies, you will see it all. And the hard corals on Molokini are grand.

One thing about Maui diving to remember: the wind frequently comes up in the PM, making an early start somewhat mandatory. Robinson starts his boat trips at 6:30 AM, so plan on getting to bed early! Both Lahaina Divers and MDS both offer early morning dives as well as mid-day dives. The latter will run the risk of a rather rough boat ride and adventurous reboarding of the dive boat.

Oh, yes, Robinson will have coffee for you when you arrive, but I recommend bringing your own...it is not the grande latte that you might be used to!

The Fish Who Only Its Mother Could Love, Scorpionfish

We dove with Maui Dive Shop to Molokini and Lanai. We thought it was a great operation plus pure digital has an underwater videographer that goes out on all the trips. The video makes for a great memory. They were safe and extremely informative (about fish ID, etc.), but at the same time they were out to also have fun themselves. Our 4 tanks with them all lasted over 1 hour each tank, with 3 - 5 minutes safety stops!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom