Boasting Time and a real Question!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
There is a new diver in town. He is known far and wide as SOOD! (Son Of Ontario Diver). (OK some bad English humour!)

Ian did his final cert dive on Sunday in Mallorytown. He also got dinner at the "Keystorm" in Brockville. For those who don't know Ian - he is 11 and I am very proud of him. (BTW - I do not want to start another "how old before cert discussion")

I want Ian to keep diving but as a junior diver he is restricted to 40 ft. So here is my question.

What dive spots are in Southern Ontario that are suitable for a Junior diver? (40 ft max depth, something to see, no major current or other dangers. )

I know of the Morrison, Big Bay Point (Boring!) and of a couple of sites up in Parry Sound - but what else is out there?

They are a bit far from Toronto since I dive out of Ottawa, but all <40ffw.

Shore Dives:
Anchors and Stacked Hulls (The hulls are a LONG swim, and 50ffw.. but the anchors are close and ~20ffw), Kingston Marine Museum, Connistoga, Rothesay, Morisburg Waterworks, Lock 23, Arnprior Bridge (low vis), Red Pine Wreck (low vis). Then there is drift diveing all down the old waterfrount (like Morisburg). And if your real brave, just find a lake and get wet.. expect to see lots and lots of clams doing this one.

Boat Dives:
?? Can't think of much that shallow.

The Tugs in Toby, the Sweepstake( I think any kid would love). If you dont mind crossing the border there are 3 quarries in Ohio just about an hour and 15 mins from the border of Windsor/Detroit and they are great for beginners with much shallow diving.

Offer my congrats to Ian......I know the feeling of being a proud father watching your son (or daughter) get their water licenses..........ah but then to my chagrin...their loyalties fall elsewear, girls , four wheeling, girls, cars, girls, drinking (argghhhh) (but not drinking and driving), girls and last but not least girls..................

Shallow, close to T.O. and a good way to learn what a wreck looks like: The Juno, Bowmanville, ON. Check out the Scuba 2000 web site for current info on location, etc. under the Dive Travel - Great Lakes thread.

There are a few spots in the Niagara Region you might like.
Sherkston Quarry, Port Colborne - A few old trains, ore cars, a pump house, and lots of fish..
Windmill Point Quarry, Fort Erie - A boat and all kinds of junk
Upper Niagara River - Drift Dive. An easy dive that's pretty shallow. There is an old wreck near frenchmans creek.
Chippawa Creek - Another nice drift dive. Really easy, and all kinds of stuff to look at.
Old Welland River - I've never done this one, but I heard its fun.
The Raleigh - Lake Erie Wrck in 25 ft of water neat Sherkston/Port Colborne.

My wife did OW certification this past summer. One of her early dives was Jackson's Point (Lake Simcoe, just north of Keswick), late Aug. Not very deep (I think we maxed at 14 feet), remains of a marine railway, a lot of fish. Supposed to be remains of a couple of lifeboats, but we never found them. Temps were low 70's, vis was 15 feet or more. Lots of small bass and a mid size pike. I'd do it again.

I would recommend

1) Kirkfield - great for his bouyancy practice with a silt bottom. Max depth I think is about 25-30 feet. Need 4 divers and access cost is $5/head (min charge of $20). A few interesting submerged items - cars, trucks, boats etc.

2) Burleigh Falls - but not on the cable. Remind me to talk to you about a couple of alternate routes when we get together next Tues. that bottoms out about 40 feet and has a couple of interesting things to see.

Congrats Ian and welcome to the underwater world. Unlike the world above water, occasionally it's a good idea to listen to what some of the Old Farts have to say (but you already know that if you got through your cert course - good job!)

Back
Top Bottom