Anyone here dive with a standard tank back pack?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Depends on what you mean by a "standard tank backpack." I have one that was standard 30 year ago that fits a steel 72. If that's what you mean then yes, I still occasionally use it - just for fun...
Rick

black plastic thing with straps and a metal hoop style tank band??

I used to use one... and even dug it outta the pile a week ago to dive it again... but I would like to find a wing for the thing.... any ideas?

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
black plastic thing with straps and a metal hoop style tank band??
I used to use one... and even dug it outta the pile a week ago to dive it again... but I would like to find a wing for the thing.... any ideas?
Naw... I only use mine (all plastic, by the way, though I think there's a steel band imbedded in it you can't see, and harness is a single continuous web strap - buckle is just two square stainless "o" rings...) when it's warm enough to not wear a wetsuit, so I don't need a BC - no weight in fresh water and three pounds in salt... buoyancy control strictly breath control. Ah, freedom...
Rick

... I would like to find a wing for the thing....

You're in luck... besides the plain old Seatec (still the same after all those years) there is also a spiffy wing made by Northern Divers called the X-wing:
http://home.pacbell.net/k8x/xwing01.jpg
http://home.pacbell.net/k8x/xwing02.jpg
http://home.pacbell.net/k8x/xwing03.jpg

I have both, prefer the X-wing because of the donut rather than horseshoe shape.
Heck, I even have a couple "backplates" made outta conveyor belting. Talk about comfy when diving nekkid.
:mean:

Rick, Uncle Pug
Thats the one, except mine is orange not to bright though.I hate to use a BC,for bouancy, breath control works perfectly and there is the added benifit of less drag ,"Freedom" is right on the mark.I use a 3mm
full suit,hood,no weight,two types of steel tanks an LP85 OMS and a PST 95cf 3300 psig made in 77' a bit heavier than the OMS
but it doesnt seem to make any difference in the water 'salt that is.I float at the suface and as soon as the 10' mark is reached its smooth sailing.I do add 4#s in the winter with a 6.5mm farmer off the coast of SC, it does'nt get much colder than 60 deg.and it can hit 70 deg. if the Gulf Stream comes in close enough.I have'nt read where anybody on this board dives like this,its good not to be alone:) You get alot of strange looks from the new guys,they think I've lost my mind or something.I'ts just the most comfortable
way for me to dive and operate my speargun or do anything for a matter of fact.
Ray

What size wing would you use for that backplate from DiveInn??

It would be nice to use in the Caribbean.

Back
Top Bottom