Abysmal wings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The website has been under construction for about 1.5 years.

Don't know anybody that uses them either.

Don

I was given one of the wings while they were in the final prototype stage.. They are a DIR style wing, For doubles they are wondeful (they have a larger section on the top of the wing and the cell is spread further than many other wings), for singles they suck.

When it comes to wings there is Halcyon and everyone else. The reason is the bladder. Everyone except Halcyon uses a thin, clear plastic type bladder. Which is prone to develop stress cracks, puncture or split fairly easy. The bladder on the Halcyon is bomb proof in comparison. Halcyon uses a coated cordura nylon that will take a beating and still perform.

For example, the turtle bite (not a scientific test). I witnessed a 250 pound logger-head sea turtle bite into and try and rip a chunk out of a Halcyon 55 pound explorer wing. One minute later the same turtle bit into my arm. The wing had no visible damage and needed no repairs. My arm was really messed up and I still have scares from the bite almost a year and a half later.

My money is on the Halcyon. I have had three wings a 27, 45, and 55 for three years, with no problems, no repairs and no disappointment. Personally, I will not dive with anything else on the market. No because of the name Halcyon, but because of the quality. That is the only thing that means anything to me when it comes to my life-support equipment.

Kevin L. Jones

P.S. I will post some pictures supporting the turtle attack

padiscubapro once bubbled...
I was given one of the wings while they were in the final prototype stage.. They are a DIR style wing, For doubles they are wondeful (they have a larger section on the top of the wing and the cell is spread further than many other wings), for singles they suck.

Why would it be better to have more air, further away from the center of Gravity? (ie at the top of the wing).

caverkevin once bubbled...
This is the turtle coming in to bite my arm while I am looking at the wing.

Kevin L. Jones

I hope your arm is ok...and all that reading I've done saying that aquatic life just don't attack divers for the hell of it. We had a small turtle here bite a guy on the side unexpectedly. I tell you if one of the big ones like you got bit by was near me... out the Knife would come and if it made a move then I would make a few moves if you know what I mean:wink: ( Turtle soup). Goes to show you can't always believe what you read in books.

OUCH!!

And yet he still manages to wear the mask in the "fashionably correct" manner:wink:

can be very aggressive.

I've not had one come at me - yet - but I try to be very respectful around them.

Those beaks look AWFULLY sharp....

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom