Question for you Halcyon owners

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaJay

Contributor
Reaction score
I have not dived with a Halcyon rig... Only Dive Rite stuff.

I understand that you guys mostly like a short deflator hose, and then bungee it to your backplate strap.

How do you get that thing to deflate like that? If you're upright in the water (yes, I know all about horizontal trim and all, but let's just say that you like to ascend head-up so you can see where you're going) then how do you use that short hose to deflate? It appears to me, even if it's a short hose, that since it comes over the shoulder and down a little, it would not want to deflate all of your air unless you un-bungeed it and held it above your head.

What am I missing here?

Thanks for your help...

UP, you got a picture of this? How long is that hose, exactly?

Sorry for all the questions... If I didn't ask, then I wouldn't know, know what I mean?

Thanks, BTW...

<walks away, shaking head, muttering, "he can dump from the hose while horizontal?">

The corrugated(?) part of mine is a little less than 14".

That is not including the actual inflator and part that goes into the wing. Just the hose.

14"??

How the heck does that thing work while you're horizontal?

(Okay, no pointing out the inuendos here... This is a serious question!) :D

While horizontal the rear dump is used, much more effective. When ascending it is rare I even touch the deflator except maybe toward the surface. Ascending is more a matter of deep breaths and then using the expanding gas in the wing to increase lift.

Tommy

So let's say that I was trimming my own hose, after buying a Halcyon Pioneer 27... What's your recommendation? And where on my body should my power inflator sit? On top of my shoulder? Where my collarbone meets my shoulder? In the middle of my pec? At my first rib?

My recommendation is to go with the 7' all the time as you do not need to change it out, but others will switch them as needed. Just tuck the extra hose in the belt if you do not have a can light.

On the hogarthian/dir rig there, the left d ring with bungee will go right at the clavicle. Hold your arms out, leave your elbows still and move your hands to your chest, there go the d rings. The inflator is a few inches below that. Mine is just enough so I can blow into it with my mouth if needed.

Tommy

One other thing I noticed about the Pioneer wing when I tried it is that it dumps air very easily from the inflator hose even though it's short and bungeed down. I think it must be due to the accordian style design of the wing. Even when out of the water the wing deflates completely real efficiently when dumping from the hose. I didn't notice any air trapping whatsoever when I dove it.

...And so that's what you guys mean by, "air trapping."

I thought you meant that air got trapped in the folds of the material... As in, "on the outside." You know... You'd go horizontal and a whole bunch of bubbles would suddenly come out because of all of the little crevaces and such...

I mean ON THE INSIDE of the bladder. Like, air that won't come out.

Yes, I've found myself doing the "funky chicken" under water trying to wiggle all of the air out of the bladder...

I think the light's coming on. I knew it was there somewhere. Too many people seeing the same thing for you guys to be crazy.

One step at a time. But now that I'm sorta "getting it," am I going to have to drink cat's blood on Wednesday nights? :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom