Pioneer 18#

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MuddyFox

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the Halcyon Pioneer 18# wing? I've noticed that most go with the 27# or above. EE doesn't even sell the 18. Does the 18 have the O shape or just the 27?

I'm interested trying its low profile. Has anyone found this wing to be too small or provide not enough lift? Of course it would be used for rec diving. I own both a set of AL80's and LP Steels. Would the steels be too much for this wing? I couldn't imagine that they would be.

Thanks.

no personal experience with the 18...
but it is U shaped.... and I can't imagine it would work for steels.

btw... you say *set of AL80's and LP Steels*... do you mean you have a set of 80 doubles and a set of steel doubles? or are you meaning single tanks... two of each?

Used as singles and can be doubled. Previous owner (my instructor) doubled them.

Obviously the would be used as singles with the Pioneer. My other wing would be for the doubles.

I guess that's what you're asking.

By the way, I'm looking for a wing that will create balance between the two wings and prevent air from gathering in just one side. I've read that the 27 better prevents this, but does the 18 do a decent job as well?

Just how much bigger is the 27? Is it much more drag?

If there's one thing that really annoys me, it's air gathering in one side thus creating unbalance.

I'm a bit confused.
You say it might work for an aluminum cylinder but not for steel one. Lets say you have an aluminum 80 cf which swings about 6# from full to empty and a steel 100 cf which swings 7.5#
Do 1.5# make that much of a difference?

Thanks.

Muddy.... get the 27#.... you will like it.... no, you will love it... and it can be used for both the AL and Steel tanks.

Lemon.... the swing isn't the issue in this case... it has to do with the negative buoyancy of a full tank. The wing needs to be able to support the rig's weight with full gas or it will sink... yes you can get by with it but what if you wanted to do a boat dive in fresh water and needed to take the rig off at the beginning of the dive? BTW there are steels that hold 80cf and Aluminums that hold 100cf

That's why I used those in the example.

So, let's stick with those. According to tank specs on DiverLink, Luxfer S80 is 3.8# negative when full and PST HP100 is 8.8# negative when full

When diving with a single AL80 in a one-piece 7mm wetsuit it takes over 20# of lead to get me under. So with a steel tank I would just use less ballast.

Isn’t the whole point of BC to compensate for the part of buoyancy that swings during the dive? (that of tank & exposure suit)

The rest is simply offset be the ballast. Where am I going wrong?

I own a Halcyon 18. It’s use is fairly narrow, AL80s with a 3mm suit maximum (I dive a Henderson 3/2 Black Maxx in Cozumel). It gets broken out every couple years when I go to warm water (like this weekend! :)).

The U shape actually is kinda nice along a wall, because you can deliberately shift the air all to one side to change your roll axis to more easily look at the wall.

The 27 is much more versatile. My other Pioneer is the 36.

Roak

Lemonade once bubbled...
Isn’t the whole point of BC to compensate for the part of buoyancy that swings during the dive? (that of tank & exposure suit)

The rest is simply offset be the ballast. Where am I going wrong?
Go back and re-read my post... the answer is hidden there in plain sight :D

Back
Top Bottom