Top Brands...are they REALLY that big a difference?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JKSteger

D/M Wannabee ! ! !
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I currently had my "terrible performance" MK20 regulator serviced and adjusted after buying a Mares Mr12 that performed really well. I got the MK20 back and now it breaths like a dream. So I had all my scubapro regs (3) serviced and adjusted (IP & 2nd stage cracking resistance) now they all breath really good and smooth.

My question to thoes "in the know", unbiased techs and long time users of several different equipment manufactures is this. Among all the "top brand" manufactures are their really and difference in performance? I'm not talking features but pure performance of the 1st and 2nd stage within rec. diving limits? Provided of course that they are properly "in tune".

For example If I had it all to do over again and knowing what I know now, I don't know if I would have dropped the $$$ on the Scubapro regs. I would have saved that money and just bought the Mr-12 and used it and maybe saved that $$$ for a HID light or something.

Your thoughts,
Jeremy

For the price of some models of Atomic regulators I could almost buy a submarine.

Jeremy

Not really IMO...You can look at test data that says one is better than the other, but put each one up to your mouth and I doubt you can feel the difference. If you are staying within rec diving limits I doubt your going to pushing it to a point where WOB will be a big problem, I would only make sure you have one that is more fail-safe than going for "high performance"

I bought the atomic t2 and think its great.I have never tried anything else but on the pool sessions and on the open water.I decided to spen the extra $$ because i hated trying to work for the air and when i went upside down it felt like i was trying to struggle again for air.

JKSteger:
Among all the "top brand" manufactures are their really and difference in performance?

well... here's my two cents

now a days, the average diver can't really tell the difference between an Apeks
and a Mares. in other words, almost any reg by a reputable manufacturer can
come close enough to the top brands (in my book, those are Apeks, Atomics,
Scubapro, Poseidon, and Zeagle).

for divers who need to push their regs and know what they are doing, the differences
are probably much easier to spot.

i can tell you that i can readily tell the difference bewteen my Apeks regs and
my Dacor and SeaElite regs.

would i be able to tell the difference between a top Mares reg and my Apeks?
probably not.

I know for a fact that my lowly SP MK2/R190 performs really well down to 130 ft. I can tell a difference between it and my MK15/G250, but only on direct comparison and have no hesitation diving with either one. Divemasters that I know in Cozumel dive with cheap regs all the time; there are alot of Mares regs, not the top models, on Cozumel and that's what I see the DMs using frequently....these are guys that dive every day for years and I've never heard them complain! I used lower end aqualung regs for my OW class and certainly never felt like I couldn't get enough air.

I think that while there are differences between various regs that are evident on direct comparison, almost any reg made by a reputable company will perform acceptably for rec diving. Most divers will form a strong attachment to their reg, as it is giving them air and there's a large element of trust. Another thing to consider is that not too long ago, most divers were making very demanding dives on regs that are on the low end of performance by today's standard.

Much more important to reg performance is how well it's tuned and maintained. I've read reports of divers complaining that they couldn't get enough air from high end regs, looking to buy an even higher end one, and I suspect that the problem has to do with poor tuning or maintainence, like you described in the first post on this thread.

I wouldn't regret buyng the SP regs; my current "favorite" 2nd stage is my metal SP balanced adjustable that's at least 25 years old. My point is, those things will last forever.

mattboy:

Much more important to reg performance is how well it's tuned and maintained. I've read reports of divers complaining that they couldn't get enough air from high end regs, looking to buy an even higher end one, and I suspect that the problem has to do with poor tuning or maintainence, like you described in the first post on this thread.

I agree 100%. I have 3 regs I dive with regularly. 1 is an Atomic Ti2, another is an Aqualung Legend, and the other is a conshelf 14 that is over 20 years old (Ok, I don't use the conshelf much, but I do use it). I can tell the difference from 1 to the other, but each 1 breaths great. About the only major difference I've noticed is that the Atomic breaths dryer if I swim inverted. The Legend is better than the conshelf, but not as good as the Atomic. But when do you ever dive inverted? I only did it to see if they would breath wet. Have your regs service regularly, and you should be happy with them for years to come.

I don't think there is a huge difference. The biggest factor for me is features. I want a balanced reg, I was a user adjustable cracking pressure adjustment, I want it to be light weight and reliable. Atomic fit the bill for me but I have used regs from every major manufacturer and found them to be good. I really notice a difference below 100'. Thats where the above mentioned features matter. I have used Oceanic, Apeks, Atomic and Scuba Pro in those situations and found them to be better than other brands but that is only my opinion.

Thank for the input everyone. You all pretty muched confirmend the opinion that I had already formed. Not being able to try each new "latest, greatest" regulator, I didn't know if there was really that much of a breathing difference. It's nice to know that with each brand/model one may be able to tell a slight difference, however; it may be minor differences and they all deliver air quite well.

Before I got into the Information Technology field I used to think that every new model PC that came out was "better" than the one before it. I didn't know because I didn't have access to them to actually "see for myself" so I naturally assumed they were better. Now that I have access to almost every model/manufacturer of PC/laptops I realize that most of the "newness" is just minor and don't actually improve performance at all. (I'm typing this on a 3 year old PC if that tells you anything about the "NEW PC's")

Jeremy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom