Any comments on the BCD inflater integrated Octos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dhampton82

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I wil be buying a complete diving setup sometime in the next coming weeks and I am new to diving and still trying to decide on what features and equipment I want to buy. I do not plan on spending alot of money right now, I just want my own stuff so I am not using rental gear. I dont plan on spending over $1,000 on my whole setup for now and will upgrade later if I need to.

I am wondering about the BCD inflater integrated octos and thought it would be a good way to stream line my package by eliminating an extra hose from it. Any suggestions as to which one is a good one to purchase or are they just a gimmick and I need to just buy a regular type of octo?:confused: :confused:

If you have suggestions on some good gear to get me started please feel free to let me know. I plan on buying a reg, octo, bcd, and gauges/ or computer. I want a computer but dont know if the cheaper (under $400) computers are just something I'll have to upgrade in the next year. But I guess that is a different forum.

But anyways thank you in advance for any info you can give me!!

I use the Seaquest Air Source. I like it, but you'll get more post about the negatives than positives. Most of the negatives will involve worse case senarios. But if you practice with your gear, you should be fine even in a worse case.

It will be pointed out that integrated inflators are harder to use when you give up your primary in an OOA situation. This is true, but again if you practise this shouldn't be an issue.

On the other hand, you always know where your reserve 2nd stage is because you use it all the time.

If you want to be more streamlined, then definetly go with the integrated inflator. If it doesn't matter to you, then you might want a traditional octo. It really comes down to what you want, and with what you are the most comfortable.

BSea:
I use the Seaquest Air Source. I like it, but you'll get more post about the negatives than positives. Most of the negatives will involve worse case senarios. But if you practice with your gear, you should be fine even in a worse case.

It will be pointed out that integrated inflators are harder to use when you give up your primary in an OOA situation. This is true, but again if you practise this shouldn't be an issue.

On the other hand, you always know where your reserve 2nd stage is because you use it all the time.

If you want to be more streamlined, then definetly go with the integrated inflator. If it doesn't matter to you, then you might want a traditional octo. It really comes down to what you want, and with what you are the most comfortable.
I have the Atomic SS1 - agree with BSea

I agree with the two above. An item that I would add, is that at some time you may want to get a slightly longer hose for your primary. Depending on what you're looking to do, suggestions run between 5' and 7'.
I wanted a 5', staying just in open water for now - but as the dive shop had a 7' on the shelf so I took that. (I'm looking at cavern diving in the future.) It routes okay, and after a few dives I'm comfortable with it.

There are quite a few threads about gear. If you find a dive show, or large shop, look at as many brands/styles/prices and then choose what suits you, your budget and plans best. Just my tuppence worth..

Quite a few years ago I thought about it, too. It certainly is attractive, with a simple rig and all.

On the reccomendation of a friend, I did this:

>borrow a bc with an integrated inflator
>descend to 60'
>add gas to BC until neutral
>switch to integrated octo (simulating OOA for buddy)
>place right hand into BC pocket (simulating hand dealing with buddy)
>ascend to surface

One try told me that an inflator-integrated octo was not for me.

All the best, James

One other biggie that keeps me away from them is if your wing is auto inflating and have to disconnect your LP line to the inflator you no longer have a secondary reg to breathe from either.

Dryglove:
One other biggie that keeps me away from them is if your wing is auto inflating and have to disconnect your LP line to the inflator you no longer have a secondary reg to breathe from either.

Sherwood Shadow + is 'in-line' and gets around that problem. You can disconnect the lp hose from the inflator and still have a working octo. I've had mine for five years and I like it. ( never had to use it for 'real' )

If you search for "AIR2" you will find lots of old threads discussing this. Even if AIR2 isn't the one you're thinking of getting, it's a good way to find the old threads.

For another view... I've used AIRs since they were invented, and continue to do so.

Scubapro, Seaquest, Sherwood and of course Zeagle, I'd rather use any of the above than a conventional octo, or long hose alternative.

No trouble without a right hand, or even with an auto inflating BC... although you should have picked up on that a lot earlier. Just deflate your BC with your left hand, it's pretty easy. And a proficient diver can work wonders by just exhaling.

Chad

Back
Top Bottom