well...this is what happened....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justleesa

Neither here nor there
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
for those of you that don't know, in addition to being in charge of the care homes I work at on the weekend I am also in charge of the kitchen.

On Sunday the menu called for Kalua pork - and after reading the manapua thread I was looking forward to making it with some left overs to make a few manapua's.

So I start preparing the meal - it has to bake for 4 hours - and I get to the shoyu and I use up the little bottle and go to get the big jug - no jug. I ask my co-worker and she says the jug is over here because there was no more room in the usual spot. I grab that jug and see that the lable says something else. I say to her "the lable doesn't say shoyu" and she says it is, it is. I finish up my pork and put it in the oven.

As it heats up I smell the liquid smoke and the garlic....then I start smelling something else. I can set my clock on it that the neighbors will be burning their food - every weekend. Didn't smell burnt yet - more like cake, but then again not.

Well dinner time came along and I passed out the food and all my girls say "UMMMMM!" and "Lisa is a good cook!". When they were done I dished some out for myself and you know when your taste buds expect one thing and get another? That's what mine told me. Something isn't right.

I go over to have a closer look (Sniff) at the jug and :11: it wasn't shoyu....it was what the lable said it was A BIG JUG OF VANILLA!!! They had been filling up the little bottle for about a month and never noticed!

NOW you can laugh :shakehead

Shoyu -- vanilla -- shoyu . . . I think you have to have VERY jaded taste buds to mistake the two. There's no salt in vanilla that I can remember.

At least they liked it . . . :)

I should have tasted it instead of just pouring the brown stuff (must be a bit stuffy because I couldn't smell the difference while pouring)...lol

Then again, my girls eat everything...lol

justleesa:
for those of you that don't know, in addition to being in charge of the care homes I work at on the weekend I am also in charge of the kitchen.

On Sunday the menu called for Kalua pork - and after reading the manapua thread I was looking forward to making it with some left overs to make a few manapua's.

So I start preparing the meal - it has to bake for 4 hours - and I get to the shoyu and I use up the little bottle and go to get the big jug - no jug. I ask my co-worker and she says the jug is over here because there was no more room in the usual spot. I grab that jug and see that the lable says something else. I say to her "the lable doesn't say shoyu" and she says it is, it is. I finish up my pork and put it in the oven.

As it heats up I smell the liquid smoke and the garlic....then I start smelling something else. I can set my clock on it that the neighbors will be burning their food - every weekend. Didn't smell burnt yet - more like cake, but then again not.

Well dinner time came along and I passed out the food and all my girls say "UMMMMM!" and "Lisa is a good cook!". When they were done I dished some out for myself and you know when your taste buds expect one thing and get another? That's what mine told me. Something isn't right.

I go over to have a closer look (Sniff) at the jug and :11: it wasn't shoyu....it was what the lable said it was A BIG JUG OF VANILLA!!! They had been filling up the little bottle for about a month and never noticed!

NOW you can laugh :shakehead

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! :lol: I can't even imagine what sashimi in vanilla extract would taste like! Especially if you added wasabi. LMAO

bet it tasted Indian or Morroccan?

Sounds like the time my dad tried his hand at a pot of pinto beans. Instead of sprinkling in ginger (for obvious reasons), he accidently sprinkled in CINNAMON! I can honestly say those were the most fragrant beans I've ever smelled...

I made a cake the other day and made the exact opposite mistake, because I keep industrial size jugs of both and they are rather alike in coloring. All I can say is the results for my end were a lot worse than on your end. :wink:

Very funny! You have invented an original - Vanilla Pork!

Back
Top Bottom