suunto vyper battery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wardric

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

My question is for suunto computer users.
I have the Suunto vyper computer. There is a bettery power indicator with segments (1-4). My computer always had the 4 segments full charge but just went to 3 segments now. I wonder how much time do i have before needing to change the battery since I'm about to leave for a 4 dives trip. Do you think I can do 4 regular (45-60min) dives with 3 segments on or should I change it?

thanks

From the Suunto manual, 3 bars =

"Normal, battery power is getting low or the temperature is low. Battery replacement is recommended if you are going to colder conditions or if you are planning to make a dive trip."

My vote is to change it. You can easily find one at Radio Shack, or if you want to pay 10x, the LDS.

ok, I'll rephrase but I do agree 100% with you. I plan to change it as soon as I can.

The fact is I dont really have the time to go to the dive store before I leave and there is one lds at the location I will dive which is a suunto dealer. I plan to do 4-5 dives max. on that trip.

But based on personnal experiences, do these computers last for 20 dives before dropping to the 2 segment level or 4-5 or just 1 or none? I would just like to know an approximation.

btw, it's back to 4 segments now :sigh:

LG Diver:
From the Suunto manual, 3 bars =

"Normal, battery power is getting low or the temperature is low. Battery replacement is recommended if you are going to colder conditions or if you are planning to make a dive trip."

My vote is to change it. You can easily find one at Radio Shack, or if you want to pay 10x, the LDS.

Thanks,

If you change it yourself, does it void the warranty?

wardric:
Thanks,

If you change it yourself, does it void the warranty?

From the Suunto site:

WHAT CAN I DO MYSELF TO MY SUUNTO DIVING COMPUTER?

NOTE! It is advisable to contact an authorized Suunto service, distributor or retailer for any needed repairs. Batteries can be though replaced by user when the change is made in a proper manner to avoid any leakage of water into the battery compartment or computer. Batteries can be changed by user to following computers. Cobra, Vytec, Vyper, Gekko, Favor S, and Mosquito. Instructions for changing batteries can be found from the instruction manual of each product. Manuals are downloadable from the Download Center.

I'd download and change the battery, but I bet you have quite a few dives left on it. For the price, I wouldn't risk it. If it's 3 bars on the surface, the cold deep water could lower the output to a point that it stops functioning.

Don't sweat the warnings on having the lds change the battery. Just follow the directions and make sure the seal is clean.

You *should* be OK with three bars, but cold water may affect it, as dherbman said. The first thing to go will be the backlight, which will no longer function at 2 bars. At one bar the computer will lock itself out and stop functioning altogether.

Thanks guys. Fortunately, I plan to do warm water dives this weekend. Should be in the 60's F :wink:

Since it's back to 4 bars, I'll dive with it until I get a chance to go buy the battery but if it gets to constant 3 bars, I'll go to the local LDS or radio shack and do the change.

It did last me for quite a few dives since I bought it.

wardric:
Thanks guys. Fortunately, I plan to do warm water dives this weekend. Should be in the 60's F :wink:

Since it's back to 4 bars, I'll dive with it until I get a chance to go buy the battery but if it gets to constant 3 bars, I'll go to the local LDS or radio shack and do the change.

It did last me for quite a few dives since I bought it.

I have the Vyper and dive about 30 dives on 3 bar in the local quarrys you can change it yourself it is super easy and you can buy the battery at walmart a whole lot cheaper. I keep an extra battery in my sav a dive kit. I did change my battery before Bonaire as I did not want to get there and not be able to find one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom