upgrading a scubapro r109 second stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divinginn

Contributor
Reaction score
does anyone know about upgrading a scubapro r109 second stage,whether i can get any decent peformace from it and if its worth it,its currently on a mark 10 first stage,breathes like a slug,went and priced a g250 today at sp dealer they wanted over 300 dollars for just a second stage,not happening

I'm not sure but I thought that you could "upgrade" a R109 to a balanced adjustable. I'm not sure on this.

I'm sure that you have tried a different regulator? I've been testing (i.e. "buying") different regulators to one day use on stage bottles and the one thing I have found is that my "perception" of a bad regulator is just that...a perception and that it doesn't really breath that bad once serviced and adjusted.

You may want to buy an "octo" 2nd stage and just have it adjusted. They are usually tuned way "down" out of the box. My SeaElite octo almost breaths as good as my G250 now that I've tuned it. Got to watch out for the free flows now!

Jeremy

I have both the G250 and the R109 (upgraded to balanced adjustable) and the R109 breathes as well as the G250. I believe it's the same rebuild kit, you just need to find someone to rebuild it. Send me a PM if you want a recommendation. I actually kind of prefer the older metal case R109 to my G250. (and I have one of the older metal barrel G250s)

thanks jeremy,thats what i heard but was wondering what kind of pefomace i could squeeze out of it,hate those plastic regulators esp at 300 dollars. going to try and meet up with the loonies at the quarry in july.

The upgrade is simple and relatively cheap - a $5 spring plus the BA/G250 service kit. But I dive both the R109 adjustables and the R156 Balanced Adjustables and find little to no difference between them. In fact, I always use R109s in conditions with strong currents as they have less likely to suffer from current induced free flows. Both breath almost as well as my wife's S600. You may be experiencing a problem with your R109 that may not be corrected with the upgrade. I remember reading somewhere (probably on this board) that manufacturing tolerances has changed over the years and, although design compatible, some older metal regs may not accept and work adequately with modern parts. Although with about a dozen scubapro metal 2nd in my arsenal, I have never had any problem.

I suggest you work on that R109 before trying to cure poor performance with the BA upgrade. Or at least wait until DAaquamaster chimes in.

divinginn:
thanks jeremy,thats what i heard but was wondering what kind of pefomace i could squeeze out of it,hate those plastic regulators esp at 300 dollars. going to try and meet up with the loonies at the quarry in july.

Hope to see you out at the quarry in July. Also I had a Mark 10 and it was probably my favoriate 1st stage I've ever dove with.

Jeremy

awap:
The upgrade is simple and relatively cheap - a $5 spring plus the BA/G250 service kit. But I dive both the R109 adjustables and the R156 Balanced Adjustables and find little to no difference between them. In fact, I always use R109s in conditions with strong currents as they have less likely to suffer from current induced free flows. Both breath almost as well as my wife's S600. You may be experiencing a problem with your R109 that may not be corrected with the upgrade. I remember reading somewhere (probably on this board) that manufacturing tolerances has changed over the years and, although design compatible, some older metal regs may not accept and work adequately with modern parts. Although with about a dozen scubapro metal 2nd in my arsenal, I have never had any problem.

I suggest you work on that R109 before trying to cure poor performance with the BA upgrade. Or at least wait until DAaquamaster chimes in.
i talked with my local scubapro dealer today he had no clue what a r109 second stage was,i asked him about a upgrade,he said he would have to call sp and ask them about it,that makes me wonder if i really want them to work on it. i guess finding a good reg tech is like trying to find a good auto mechanic. ihave been using it for a octo it works fine for that app.,would like to use it for a primary if i can get it breathing properly,alot less cottonmouth than the plastic one im using now,thanks for all the input. mark

Yea, my SP tech is one of thoes "old timers" who has been running his own shop for about 18 years and diving for about 28 years...

I have the opposite with him, he doesn't think too highly of all this "new" products, etc. He said give him a MK10 & a Balance Adjustable metal 2nd and he will have a combo that will perform as good as anything out there now.

I don't know about that??? But I wish I still had my MK10 1st stage.

Jeremy

where is your dealer located,griffin is not too far away

My tech can service it & you can mail it to him. He does mine every year. Call Mary @ 334-774-3483 to see about sending it to George if you like. Rates are reasonable & he does excellent work, though turnaround is slow as people keep him covered up with work.

The shop is Sea Divers in Ozark, AL, not very far from you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom