Oceanic Gauges - depth reads wrong!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Andrew Richardson

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I have brand new oceanic gauges. My wife & I both bought the same set. Pressure, depth & compass. The depth gauge reads 60ft when we're only down 50ft. LDS says Oceanic will stick him with the gauges if he replaces them. I am a new diver & need to rely on these gauges - 20% error sounds outrageous to me.

Oceanic - what's your comment?

Hi Andrew -

We have a service program that deals with this very specifically. If one of our products should have a problem within the first 30-days of purchase through an Authorized Dealer - that dealer is able to swap it out over the counter and contact us for an immediate replacement. Depending on their current inventory level or own policies, they may opt to return your product to the factory and provide you with a the replacement that we provide. If the product is outside this 30-day window, it qualifies for warranty service, in which case it does need to come back to the factory, either via the LDS or directly. In that case, should the dealer replace it over the counter for you, he would be out as a serviced gauge would be returned to them.

I would recommend that you contact Kevin Kidd at Cross Country Parts - our Canadian distributor. I have no doubt that he will help determine what the problem may be and facilitate service and/or replacement through your LDS or provide a solution himself.

Kevin Kidd
Cross Country Parts
kevkidd@telusplanet.net
(403) 235-5454

Kevin was very quick to respond. Thank you Oceanic. I bought your gear because I believed it was good! Your response reinforced that opinion!

Andrew Richardson:
Kevin was very quick to respond. Thank you Oceanic. I bought your gear because I believed it was good! Your response reinforced that opinion!

I've only comparred Oceanic to Oceanic. When I had a VTPro and comparred it to my wifes ProPlusII at the drain in a 12 feet in swimming pool the VT read 11 feet and her PPII read 12.

Sometime later we comparred again at about 50 or 60 feet (can't remember) and the difference was olny 2 feet and I don't recall which way.

At some point I switched to a ProPlusII and the last time we comparred was last weekend while standing side by side on the deck of the Oriskany and guess what... both read 133 feet. Brought a little smile to my face.

The varience you're getting is unacceptable. BTW: you didn't say how you were determing the depth difference.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom