What new reg to get?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

teknitroxdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This is kind of a complex question. Here's the story:

I started diving with an Aqualung Micra ADJ and a 'low-profile' backup reg, one of those where the mouthpiece is at a 120 degree angle. Last year I switched to a bp/w and long hose config. Obviously my backup reg will not work on a necklace. So I traded with my dad, gave him my backup and took his, a Mares something-or-other. After he got back from a trip last week, he told me he wants his good one back (I don't know if he had to use the backup or what). Which means I need a new one.

I plan on getting into tech diving next year, definitely hypoxic trimix and possible caves too. So I'm trying to decide if I should just get a new first and second stage to get started on my collection of tech-worth DIN regs, or just get a second stage and keep my current first.

If I go the all-new route, I think I'll get a Zeagle Flathead VI first with a ZX second for my primary, and use my Micra ADJ for the backup.

If I just get a new second stage, I don't know what I'll get. Maybe just a ZX.

Ideas, opinions, advice?

thanks!

Thanks. I forgot to put it in there but I am also looking at the XTX 100 or 50. I haven't found a price on this yet. About what would I be looking at for the XTX 100 and XTX 50? Is there any advantage to one over the other? Also I notice that the 50 has a different first stage than the 100, which has better hose routing for doubles?

Edit: Oh yeah, a few more things. I'd like whatever regs I get to be capable of sub-40-degree water and operate reliably depths of up to 400 feet. I don't plan on going below 300 or so, but there are one or two 'dream wrecks' that I would love to dive that are over 300.

thanks

Oh, and lets say I were to find a used XTX50 on a certain auction website that had the yellow faceplate. Can I get a black faceplate to put on it?

Stay away from ebay. Or any other auction site. Even if it says brand new, chances are it's not, and if it's not brand new, don't get it. Get to your LDS and talk to them about it, they may be happy to bring in an Apeks set up for you (assuming they don't have one already).

I called my 'L'DS (not so local) and they don't stock Apeks and don't do Zeagle at all, but they gave me a price on the XTX50, 100, and 200. the 50 was quoted at $547, which was kind of a sticker shock. The lady also claimed they couldn't get just the second stage. I sent Joel at TDL an email to see what his prices are, maybe they're a little better.

Apeks XTX200 is the best choice....but price concern you can consider Scubapro Mk25/S600 and Mk17/S600

Divers in my area prefer the xtx50 over 200 because it is smaller thus easier to use set up with h values and such.

a reg like this is worth buying at an lds, you want the support

I got an extra atx 2nd stage for my alternate from someplace on line, could look it up if you are interested

nothing will stop you with this reg

Back
Top Bottom