Scubapro S550 v. S600

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ehoffman

New
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm leaving for the Red Sea in a little over three weeks and I am purchasing my gear for the trip. I will be getting a Scubapro MK25 first stage but can't decide between the S550 and the S600 second stages. I tried the S600 and it seemed to me that it was a very dry breather and gave me a little too much air even with the adjustable valve turned almost completely down. Can anyone tell me how this compares to the S550, which I did not get to try? I also am torn between getting an AIR2 on the BCD or not. I am leaning towards the AIR2 because it is cheaper than getting an octo, I have used one before (albeit 2 years ago, when I learned on it), and I will always know where my alternate second stage is rather than having to fumble around for an octo on a longer hose. I have my own list of pros and cons for the AIR2, however I want other people's opinions.

Thanks in advance! Em

Freshly serviced and tuned, the 550 and 600 should breath the same. Over time, the seat saver feature and adjustability of the 600 should give it the performance advantage. I'm partial to the adjustables.

Never used the 550, but I love my 600.

All I have to offer.

Oh, Air2. Lots of threads on this. Some people love 'em, others (like myself) don't trust them. Can be tricky in an emergency situation. Old reliable (octo) is better.

However, if you decide it's what you want, look at the Atomic version instead of the ScubaPro Air2. I love ScubaPro regs, and consider Atomic regs to be merely their equal, but the Atomic SSI beats the pants off the ScubaPro Air2.

The s 550 (changed to s555 for the 2006 catalog) is mechanically identical to the s600 except for the cracking pressure adjustment knob. And the price difference is close to $100 at retail. I vote save your money and go with the 555 have your technician adjust it how you want it and enjoy. I have never felt a need to make my reg breath harder than normal.

I agree with Compudude. Atomic wipes the floor with the Air 2. Go to your LDS and look at the two, then push the buttons. Scubapro is sometimes hard to push the buttons and feels like "well maybe after it breaks in..." whereas the Atomic feels exactly how you would think it is supposed to. I think MSRP on the two are ~211 and 234 or somewhere around there... you cant find a second stage for less than $200? Bungee it around your neck and incase you ever have to switch over you'll have an easier time controling your ascent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom