Suunto Cobra and Stinger

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marcosis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I dive 2 computers both Suunto and loved both until this weekend.The Cobra read 78' max.depth and 74 degree bottom temp. while the Stinger read 66' max. and 81 degree temp. The Cobra was correct.The battery shows full. I was given the Stinger second hand as a gift with no warranty.I'm in S. Florida and wonder if anyone knows where I can get it checked? Thank you for your responses. Marc.

My suggestions. Check your dive buddys comptuer at depth. Which of your computers matches his? The one that doesn't match is the one that you will need to return to the dealer that you bought it from for him to send back to the company (if still under warranty). This is not a repairable item in the store. It is not that uncommon for computers to be off a foot or two or a temp guage to be a little different, but this is way too great a difference. You could also check to make sure that you do not have silt, crud or other stuff on the sensor, but I doubt that this would be the case. Do not dive with a computer this out of calibration.

Another less likely possibility, depending on you familiarity with both computers -Were you comparing them side by side at depth, or is your info from viewing the log info after the dive? If it is the latter, are you sure you are looking at the log information for the same dive and not a previous dive on one computer? As fancy (complicated - and not always user friendly) as some of the new dive computers are getting, it would not be impossible to make this mistake. I swear some of the owner's manuals are beginning begining to look like a copy of "War and Peace". I dove with a guy diving a Suunto Cobra last fall. He was struggling with how to access the dive info. He did not find the computer very user friendly.

diveprof:
Another less likely possibility, depending on you familiarity with both computers -Were you comparing them side by side at depth, or is your info from viewing the log info after the dive? If it is the latter, are you sure you are looking at the log information for the same dive and not a previous dive on one computer? As fancy (complicated - and not always user friendly) as some of the new dive computers are getting, it would not be impossible to make this mistake. I swear some of the owner's manuals are beginning begining to look like a copy of "War and Peace". I dove with a guy diving a Suunto Cobra last fall. He was struggling with how to access the dive info. He did not find the computer very user friendly.

As to the original question, go to Suunto's web site and you can find an authorized dealer in your area. They can take a look at it for you.

As to the comment about the Cobra being unfriendly, I have two Sunnto's a Stinger and a Vyper, one of my frequent dive buddies has the Cobra. My experience has been the exact opposite. I find the UI on Suunto's to be extremely intuitive and VERY easy to use. I was able to use and access most funtions without even needing to read the manual.

Different strokes.... :wink:

diveprof/joe rock-thank you for your replies! I also find both the Cobra and the Stinger VERY easy to use as well! I was just puzzled to have such different readings (side by side and at depth). Will check out the Suunto site.Marc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom