Bubbly octo.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

THREEPT82

New
Reaction score
Hi Guys.
I was looking on the net for 1st stage and octopus adjustments and happened to see this
forum. Looks cool. Maybe someone can help. Just did my first dive of the season :11:
(ya I know, a little late) Was looking for lobster and heard/saw bubbles from octo.
The normal have adjusted every year type. When I turn it over the leaking stops.
I believe this is just a matter adjusting where the hose and octo are attached.
Any sug. don't have time to drop off for service Thanks

I assume it's been at least a year since you had it serviced and if so a leak is not uncommon after storage over the winter.

It could be either of two things. The slight freeflow may be occurring because the high pressure seat is leaking slightly, which results in the intermediate pressure increasing until the excess pressure is vented through which ever of the low pressure poppets in the second stage and octo opens easiest. That would make it a first stage problem requiring service. If the reg does not begin bubbling immediately after the reg is pressurized but instead takes a few seconds to a few minutes to start, this is most likely the problem.

The other potential problem is that the low pressure seat in your octo has developed an excessive seating groove while in storage and there is no longer enough give in the seat to allow the orifice to fully seal against the seat. In some cases the spring pressure pressing the orifice against the seat can be increased (by either screwing the orifice in farther or by screwing in a spring adjustment pad depending on the design). However this is usually only a temporary fix. In some models the seat can be flipped over to get another season out of it and that is really the only alternative to getting an annual service.

Both problems get progressively worse over a number of dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom