Ranking computer manufacturers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buford of Arabia

Registered
Reaction score
Hello All,
I'm brand new to diving but have really gotten into it quickly and am contemplating purchasing my first computer. There seems to be a huge amount of manufacturers out there and none of them are very familiar to me, so I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to narrow the search down. I'm living in the Middle East (Dubai) so many of the brands aren't sold locally here prohibiting me from playing with them to figure out what I like. Additionally, my local shop deals in Suunto, Cressi, and Tusa exclusively which makes me lean toward buying those brands for future servicing requirements. So my question is this- are there certain brands that are known to be 'high end' or others that are known as 'budget' products? I was kind of hoping for some sort of 'ranking' of manufacturers to help me narrow the field down a bit. Thanks!

It only appears that way, there are a huge amount of brands, but there are only a few manufacturers so you can divide them up that way.

Determine what you want in a computer and then get the one that offers it. What conservatism factor are you comfortable with? What is the most important feature (ie readability or bells-n-whistles)? Do you want it wrist mounted or in a brick console? etc.

I dive an Oceanic (Pelagic manufactured) and am comfortable with its algorithm. Folks say its less conservative than some but when I dive tables at +2 my Oceanic doesn't clear that much faster.

My opinion is that the Oceanic overall is the best computers.

I am about to buy a Scuba pro smart com because I like the features of the smart com air integration. I don’t think you can go wrong with the Suunto.

For me I’d go with the serviceability where you live/dive.

serrada:
My opinion is that the Oceanic overall is the best computers.

I am about to buy a Scuba pro smart com because I like the features of the smart com air integration. I don’t think you can go wrong with the Suunto.

For me I’d go with the serviceability where you live/dive.

If you think Oceanic is the best... why do a smart com when you could do an Pro Plus from Oceanic? And with the smart com, some features, like changing the alarms, changing from metric to imperial, can only be done if you're hooked to a PC... can't turn your alarms on or off on the boat... Just a thought - the Pro plus or the Aeris AI will be about the same size, or smaller, larger display, and I feel easier to use (with buttons instead of wet your finger contacts).

Suunto has the largest share of the market world wide. That is not to imply they are the best, but certainly many feel they are.

Suunto, Uwatec, Pelagic (Oceanic, Aeris and others), and Seiko (Dive Rite, Apeks, Cressi and Tusa) probably account for about 95% of the computers divers are buying today.

scubatoys:
If you think Oceanic is the best... why do a smart com when you could do an Pro Plus from Oceanic? And with the smart com, some features, like changing the alarms, changing from metric to imperial, can only be done if you're hooked to a PC... can't turn your alarms on or off on the boat... Just a thought - the Pro plus or the Aeris AI will be about the same size, or smaller, larger display, and I feel easier to use (with buttons instead of wet your finger contacts).

They're all features or bugs depending on your point of view.

The "wet finger" contacts on the SmartCom mean that there are no moving parts anywhere on the case, which means no leaks, and they're impossible to accidentally hit underwater, since they don't work underwater.

The settings that require a PC to change are typically a non-issue, since users hardly ever change their "metric/imperial" settings again once they figure out how they want it set.

One other feature which may or may not be a bug depending on the user is the battery.

Because it's factory-service-only, the case is completely sealed and leaks are almost non-existant, unless there was some sort of horrible physical damage.

Also, it's a very large battery that lasts for years and the replacement is free.

Terry

I just purchased a Uwatec Aladin Tec. I am only using it as a bottom timer, but it really looks like the computer part of it is very solid. I read the entire manual, and while I won't be using many of the computer features, they are there.

I have dove Oceanic Atom, Oceanic Datatrans Plus, and a non-computer citizen hyper aqualand. I liked the datatrans plus because it was easy to read. I liked the Atom because it was small. I liked them both because I wore both and they read off of the same transmitter which was really nice. I liked the fact that the database that the Atom stores information in is accessible for me to play with the data and create my own reports. I still take it along to record my dives... and act as a third backup I guess :)

They don't fit my diving now, but I was happy with Oceanic when computer diving. But, I also really like the features of the Aladin Tec and would probably buy it now if I didn't want air integration. I purchased mine from scubatoys and the people there are a good set of resources to discuss this all with if you want to (as are a lot of shops).

As said before, it all depends on your diving style and what you want out of a computer. I really don't want a computer now but just a bottom timer.

Chris

I vote for Suunto.

scubatoys:

The sol reason I like the Smart Com over the Data Max 2 is the “True Remaining Bottom Time” (where I can program the amount of air left in my tank at the end of the dive) feature on the Smart Com. I like this feature enough it out weight the benefits of the Pro Plus 2.

I didn’t list any other manufactures because I thought most other computers are made by the big three. For example, correct me if I’m wrong, I though Aeris was manufactured by Oceanic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom