Couple of questions about Apeks regs...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AJ Tudor

Registered
Reaction score
Disclaimer: I'm fairly new to diving so if some of the questions seem a bit...well stupid to you, just humour me :D

1.) Everywhere I've looked they're described as having 2 HP ports, and 4 MP ports. What is classed as medium pressure? Would it be safe to plug my low pressure inflator hose for my BC into the MP ports, or would I have to go and buy a different hose?

2.) I will be diving year round, in water that will be anything from 40 degrees to 65 degrees. Would it be okay to go for the XTX50? Or would it be worth the 65 pounds to upgrade to the XTX100?

3.) I can get a rig setup consisting of; XTX 100/XTX 40 stage 3, along with a 3 gauge console for 425 Pounds (770 dollars). Good deal?

Well, "low" pressure ports from first stages aren't really all that low, so I think they use "medium" to describe it. You'll have plenty of places to plug in your inflator and other "LP" stuff.

Apart from the XTX20, all Apeks regs should be equally at home in cold water.

I paid considerably less than your figure for ATX200's with AT20 octos. If I'd been willing to wait, ATX40 octos could've been had for $20 more. I would have paid money NOT to have a console, so I don't know what that does to price.

Actually I'm getting the console for free as part of a deal with the shop. The price for the rig is actually quite a bit less than the RRP. I'm not too surprised it seems expensive though, for some reason we get ripped off on this side of the pond. The octo included by the way is described as the XTX 40 stage 3.

Why not consider buying from an international website like scubatoys for instance? You'd get a much better price that way, I assume.

Because I've already had issues with buying a regulator online that was a ***** to sort out. It sounds bad but that's actually one of the best prices I've seen in this country. Besides, with import regulations/taxes/Shipping/Tony's piggy bank, I wouldn't save a great deal.

AJ Tudor:
Disclaimer: I'm fairly new to diving so if some of the questions seem a bit...well stupid to you, just humour me :D

1.) Everywhere I've looked they're described as having 2 HP ports, and 4 MP ports. What is classed as medium pressure? Would it be safe to plug my low pressure inflator hose for my BC into the MP ports, or would I have to go and buy a different hose?

Medium pressure is 135 psi (9.06 Bar) at 3000 psi (201 Bar) tank pressure. Check my conversion from psi to bar its been a few years since I used Bar, but I think I am good to a percent or so.

You should not have to buy new hoses. My hoses are printed with a maximum pressure rating (250 psi) so you can verify you are OK. Also the threaded part of the hose fitting is a different size on low (apparently called medium in the UK) pressure and high pressure hoses so it is not possible to screw the wrong hose into the wrong port.

A.

P.S. Good job with the Ecuador match today.

Medium Pressure is just how Apex describes it vs. LP. After all they are from the other side of the pond where you all do things backwards anyways. :wink: I don't know about in the UK, but in the US Aqua Lung has a deal where you get a free octo with a reg purchase. I got an Egress (MSRP = $179) for free with my XTX200 Reg. You may want to check it out. I agree stay FAR away from online shops for regs. Especially Apex as they do not sell any products online. If you get one it is a factory second or purchased through Asia.

jheil82:
stay FAR away from online shops for regs. Especially Apex as they do not sell any products online. If you get one it is a factory second or purchased through Asia.

That may be true in the USA. It may not be true in other markets. I purchased 3 sets of regs from Divetank (in Canada). They are new, first-quality, and have full factory (not just dealer) warranty. All the packaging is for the North America market. If I *had* a LDS, I might buy through an LDS. In my case, Scubatoys and Divetank are my "LDS's."

Why would anyone care through what countries a regulator was shipped ("purchased through Asia") before purchase?

With Apeks--lack of warranty.
If you buy Apeks regs from an authorized reatiler you get parts for life when it is serviced.
Although I will admit that with how cheap you can get them online, that might cancel out the whole "free parts for life" deal.

mstevens:
Why would anyone care through what countries a regulator was shipped ("purchased through Asia") before purchase?

I could be wrong, but I have read that regulators made in or for Asia for example are not built to the same demanding quality standards of those for Countries like the US and UK. I could be wrong, but it's worth considering. I can also understand the delima of not having a LDS near by. I have lucked out and have a pretty good one close by. A treat for a coldwater environment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom