Sherwood Blizzard Reg... how much leakage is too much?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

normga

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been given a set of regs. A Sherwood Blizzard 1st stage, Sherwood Magnum 2nd and USDivers octo. I know that the Sherwood 1st stage is supposed to continuosly allow a positive pressure bleed from a from a port/plug on the 1st stage that effectively makes them environmentally sealed. On this 1st stage, there is a black rubber plug in the first stage that leaks. My question is how much is too much? The leak is very audible and I can feel it when I place a finger lightly over top of it. I know I still need to take these in to be serviced anyway, but I was wondering if anyone out there who had any experience with this could comment. Thanks!

Norm
Woodstock, GA

It is audible, especially with no hood. It will look like a TINY alka-seltzer is firing off. Your finger test is also typical. My wife and I dive the same rigs. (2005s)

The inspection procedure is to use an inverted graduated cylinder in a water bath and to measure how much air is trapped in a set period of time. I don't have the specification handy but someone here will.

The failure mode is usually clogging frrom what I understand so unless somehting was damaged on assembly it should not increase over time.

Pete

Pete
has it covered,but man get it serviced! a must= by a Sherwood service facility-ASK!! if not take a pass!
Man I must not hear well,heck I miss my Dive Rite computer yelling at me! but the air bleed from my Sherwood's never heard it,
Dive safe,
They are a good reg set! never had a free flow in these cold waters!
Brad

if you can breathe from it, its probably a bit much. I never was able to hear anything from my first stage, so I would think that maybe its a bit much, but heck maybe I just don't pay enough attention, who knows. I would think just telling the service tech what is going on should get them to check it and see whats going on.

Sorry if first post was confusing. Following is from Sherwood manual SRB5600

B. Dry Air Bleed Flow Test
1. Submerge the first stage under several inches of water.

2. A small stream of bubbles should be escaping from the one-way bleed valve on the first stage
and nowhere else on the body (see Fig. 1). The number and size of the bubbles may vary from
regulator to regulator. To check this, use the following steps:

a. Invert a small (50 cc capacity) graduated cylinder (p/n TL110) filled with water over the
underwater flow of bubbles (see Fig. 1). The air entering the cylinder will gradually empty
some of the water out of the cylinder.

b. After one minute, remove the graduated cylinder from the air flow and raise the cylinder to
the surface so that air/water dividing line inside the cylinder matches the water level outside
the cylinder. The measurement at this point should be between 13 and 27 cc for the old
style flow control element and 20-30 cc for the new laser drilled flow control element.

c. If the reading is significantly higher than 30cc check the O-rings and sealing surfacesmated
to the piston. If the reading is below 13cc, check the flow control element to determine if
it has been clogged by grease or other foreign matter. If it is clogged, it must be replaced
(old style sintered stainless steel ) or cleaned (new laser drilled element).

Hi all,

That is precidely what I needed to know. I do plan to have them serviced I just wanted to know what I may or may be getting into. Anyway, the bleed is definitely not enough to breath off of so it makes me feel better that the regs are not likely to require major work. They head to the tech tomorrow! Thanks again.

Norm
Woodstock, GA

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom