Handing Down my SP MK20/D400

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

7milehi

Contributor
Reaction score
My 14y/o daughter is getting her Jr O/W next month and I'm giving her my SP reg. So I'm on the market for a new regulator and have narrowed it down to the Zeagle Flathead($583), Atomic B2($699), Mares MR22 Abyss($499) or the SP MK25/S600($602). Any recommendations or pros&cons on any of the regulators listed above from those that have actually used them ? I mostly dive wrecks off the NC coast using Nitrox with max depths around 130'. For those that want to know why I'm handing down my SP reg. and buying myself a new one ......because I'm the Dad and I can[:monkeydan ]

personally, and I know this isn't the point of this post, and really its unwarrented, so I shouldn't say this... but this is the internet and so what the heck... I would keep the D400 and buy her a new reg, but I am very partial to the 400. Back to your regularly schedueled thread, this has been a test of the moron posting network, this was only a test, if this had been an actual post, I would have said something ever more unwanted...this has only been a test.

I upgraded a few years ago from the MK20/D400 to the MK25/S600 and love the new reg. The D400 is a really nice, easy-breathing reg, but the S600 outdoes it. It is very easy breathing. It is also lighter than the D400, so it is more comfortable in your mouth, less effort required to hold it in place. I have not used the other regs, so I can't compare them. The only downside to the S600 is that I know a few people who have had it freeze up in very cold water. If you are diving in NC and south, you should be fine. In the Great Lakes, we have been taking the hose protectors off the 2nd stage end of the hose so the air entering the reg is cooler, which seems to help. I have had no problem myself and have had the reg in water as cold as 42F.

I just got a new Zeagle Flathead VI and I've been very pleased with the performance. Like you, I dive mostly wrecks here in NC.

For more info about diving here in NC, here is a great resource: http://www.ncdivers.com/ . We have a great group of folks, and we're always happy to welcome newcomers.

Frank

_

Buy the Zeagle Flathead VI, not only is it a great reg but Zeagle's customer service is top notch and their overhaul kits are readily available if you care to service it yourself.
Just my 2 psi.

I love my Atomic B1/T2 for what it's worth.

Thanks for the info, I've finally decided on the SP MK25/S600. The main reason is my LDS made me a good deal on the SP. The Atomic was tempting but no LDS carried the Atomic line and very little discount on the Atomic from other DSs out of my area.

Hmmm....you could keep your Mk 20 D400 and buy another one for your daughter. I have a very nice Mk 20 I no longer need with a D400 equipped with the cute little pink "D400" label that used to be available for female divers.

Back
Top Bottom