Hurricane Cookbook

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

An interesting read. Some additional ideas follow more in terms of storage/preparation:

I am a big fan of Coleman Gas Fueled Stoves. They are very cheap and store compactly. Have a lantern as well. These are not for idiots. They take some intelligence and skill to operate, outdoors! You can process a lot of dubious water into suitable by boiling it. The lantern can throw a lot of heat when it's putting ut 200 watts of light.

Water sources? The pool, the filled bathtub, the water heater, the water bed?

You can flush a toilet with any old water.

The refrigerator idea was okay, but a LARGE Igloo cooler 80 quart (140 preferable) is a great investment. 2 would be better. Ice frozen in 1 gallon jugs. The thermal dynmaics relating to the longer melt times of larger frozen objects (vs smaller) come into play. [In non-hurricane months you'll be a key part of every party with these in the inventory]

This may well be the difference between life and death for those in need of medications. A very small generator to operate a refriferator every couple of hours could be used to refrigerate medications as well. How many diabetics are there in your immediate neighborhood?

Preparation surfaces should be disposed of. In a pinch, newspapers are better than any cutting board.

The list was a warm-fuzzy healthy macrobiotic hippy kind of feel good thing.

When it come down to it, it's Peanut Butter (like they advised) but also stuff like M&M's. Sock away about 5#.

MRE's from your local Army/Navy store will be an awful tasting but great addition... just in case the recommended bean sprouts turn bad after day 4.

And oh yes, when they said, "Keep the can opener near the food stuffs", they meant to say- keep the old fashioned manual can opener nearby!

I thought it was a nice civilized way to get ready for a hurricane, it lists more veggies than I eat in a year.

My usual stock is 5-5 gals of water, 5-6 gals of gas, a quiet honda generator, small AC, coleman gas stove and lantern. My menu is PB&J, Hormel chili, Dinty Moore Beef stew and tuna fish and several P-38s. http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MLT4847-1487-1391.html

I try to get about 4 loafs of white bread and 30 lbs of ice when the warning goes up. Then I get out of town with my survival gear and valuables.

DennisS:
I thought it was a nice civilized way to get ready for a hurricane, it lists more veggies than I eat in a year.

My usual stock is 5-5 gals of water, 5-6 gals of gas, a quiet honda generator, small AC, coleman gas stove and lantern. My menu is PB&J, Hormel chili, Dinty Moore Beef stew and tuna fish and several P-38s.

Looks like you and I are quite uncivilized. I assume your P-38's are 9mm. :eyebrow:

...and BTW... Cheaper than Dirt? It isn't.

RoatanMan:
MRE's from your local Army/Navy store will be an awful tasting but great addition...
When I spent 12 days living out of my car while driving from Baton Rouge, LA, to Deadhorse, AK, and back (11,333 miles total) my fine dining (well, all my dining) consisted of MREs. When I was hungy, I'd just grab a random meal from the meal bin behind my right shoulder, pop the entree into a heater bag with requisite water, set it on my MRE "stove" (a board with four nails and some bungee cord), and in fifteen miles or so, enjoy a delicious meal of entree number whatever.

I don't know whether it was a side effect of solo driving 1000 miles a day, but more than half the entrees turned out to be rather delicious. There were, of course, a couple that were *hideous*, but several were excellent, all things considered. (I think it was the turkey with gravy and potatoes that was my favorite, but the pork "ribs" patty thing was far better than I would've thought it could be.)

ClayJar:
I don't know whether it was a side effect of solo driving 1000 miles a day, but more than half the entrees turned out to be rather delicious. There were, of course, a couple that were *hideous*, but several were excellent, all things considered. (I think it was the turkey with gravy and potatoes that was my favorite, but the pork "ribs" patty thing was far better than I would've thought it could be.)

I have a Turkey unit sitting on a shelf in my kitchen, Just in case anybody gets critical of my cooking.

Bean Burrito was my thing. Wouldn't you know it, like everything else... discontinued.

Me? Hated the ribs. I'll trade you some for your Bean Burritos. Got any? Just love the 1.5" tall mini bottles of Tobasco Sauce. I'll even throw in the matches and toilet paper.

Check out the book Apocolypse Chow. Great ideas for how to stock the pantry for those emergency situations, as well as recommendations for which boxed wine goes with which menu selection.

"Hurricane cookbook"?!

I didn't know there were different ways to cook hurricanes...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom