Blackout idea ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kulminaator

Registered
Reaction score
Hello freedivers :)

We all know that there are deep and shallow water blackouts which are very dangerous, even for people who have practiced the sport for a longer time.

I was wondering here over a quite simple device which could make freediving more safe, let me know if such a thing exists already or if there's something terribly wrong with the idea.

The point is that even if you black out, it would be a good idea to surface , with your face upwards. So what i figured here, would be this. A small vestlike item to wear on your upper body, having 2 fillable sections, a slightly bigger one on your chest and a slightly smaller one behind your neck, a minitank with compressed air attached to it (that could easilly be fitted on a belt behind your back perhaps ? Now let's enhance this with a timer device that is attached to your hand, while you are diving, you have to press a knob every now and then (let's say 20 seconds ?) , if you fail to do that the balloon will release the air into the bags and lift you to the surface, presumably face upwards unless you beat the laws of physics.

There would still be a great chance that you manage to inhale water through your mouth before the balloon reacts but it could save your life :)

Another idea would be a small wake-up device with the same timing idea, so when you are about to black out, it would try to wake you up if that's possible, an electric shock would certainly get your attention but perhaps this is too much ?

There are now two things that make freediving much safer and they work far better than mechanical devices.

1. A good Buddy!
2. Good training!

A buddy can rescue you if you blackout.

No device can 'wake you up' when you blackout because there is just not enough O2 (oxygen) in your brain for proper function.

freediver:
The vest is something that has already been placed into commercial development. Interesting concept. Check it out here.

yes, just reviewed it, pretty much the same idea as mine.

ofcourse it can't replace a buddy and common sense but still, i think it's a good idea...

lots of things can happen down there, and a vest to bring you up seems like a good idea, also when you get a sudden cramp from the chilly water or incase you get some kind of injury.

Common sence and freediving in one sentence without the word not in it?
I'm sorry... maybe its the lack of lung capacity, but I simply do not see the point in tossing yourself to that depth and comming up again. It cant be great for your lungs. The whole blackout thing makes it even worse.
I mean some decompression to have your brain addept to presure changes seems advisable to me? I just do not get it. Do me a 12l tank anyday.... enablkes me to enjoy the scenery for longer too.

(I do not intend to hurt feelings here....i just dont get it)

so far i have only scuba'd but there is something beautiful about freediving. you can be more in touch with nature, more relaxed and reflective. that would suit me well when i'm in that kind of mood.

also, not having all those bubbling can help you sneak up on your prey. :)

i am also considering practicing breathhold techniques as a way to increase safety on scuba dives. if i knew i could hold my breath for 2-4 minutes that would be a tremedous aid in staving off the number 1 killer of divers, PANIC.

(there isn't much i do that people consider to be inline with common sense, apparently the common sense thing to do is sit at home and watch american idol, no thanks)

Does the line never ever hold your breath mean anything?
Its fine for a freediver to do so since they do'nt inhale compressed air, but breathing compressed and ho,ding your breath .....thats the No1 killer...not panic!
Of course panic means people stop breathing regularly but that's beside the point

desiredbard:
breathing compressed and ho,ding your breath .....thats the No1 killer...not panic!

That is not correct. It's important to understand that lung overexpansion injuries or air embolism are far less common causes of diver death than simple drowning.

There are plenty of times when it's appropriate to hold ones breath while diving. The critical point is not to ascend with a closed glottis. Drilling the "never hold your breath" line into trainee divers is a way (probably the best, overall) of preventing that.

mstevens:
It beats not coming up again.
Depends on your state of mind.....
Would be my prefered suicide idea.... swim out and down to 40-50m with a good bit of extra lead. No upset traindrivers, pedestrians on the sidewalk of that tall building, friends or relatrives that want to clean the stairwell, oven, bathroom.

(And no I'm not joking hetre and neither intend to offend anyopne that lost someone that way)

Thing is if you hear about bleading lungs the size of peas, blackouts etc why bother for a 4-5 minute dive? I mean chances are that you don't encounter whart you want to, if you see it you only got a far more limited amount of time. And hell if some f-ing amadan comes crashing in from above me .... i would get the hell ot of there ..... would a fish not?

Seems to me like the difference between parachute jumping and hangliding, only more risky. Just dont get it.

Back
Top Bottom