Q: Conshelf Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cyoung

Registered
Reaction score
Wondering about the Conshelf regulator series.

New to the world of diving, and interested in the purchasing my own.

Seriously leaning towards the (Aqua Lung) Conshelf regulator - hopfully a used set, the Titan/Legend series presently out of my price range.

Obviously beening new, I'm not knowledgeable of previous versions.

Hoping someone can give a short run down on versions, pros/cons, etc.

Thanks

Carl

The Conshelf XIV is still in production with three 3/8" LP ports and 1 HP port. It uses a chrome plated brass second stage which is very durable, has excellent heat trnasfer traits and a metal air barrel that virtually eliminates dry mouth.

If I remember correctly the Conshef 21, 31, SEA, SE2, and SE3 are all vaiations on the theme but with plastic cased second stages and on some models a 1/2" LP port for the primary second stage and an additional LP port on others which is nice if you are also using a dry suit.

The Conshelf XI and XII are very similar but have only 2 LP ports so they are problematic for a modern diver with a primary, octo and inflator.

Conshelf second stages are all of the basic unblanaced downstream poppet design but breathe much better than they should. It's a good reg design that is more than adequate for recreational diving.

The Conshelf 14 is a bulletproof reg. I own about ten of them and they have had 0 problems. FWIW, last time I looked the US Navy was still diving the heck out of them. There are a lot of them out there and many bargains to be had. I have bought them new off ebay for about $70.00, used for a whole lot less. Plated marine brass regs are the way to go if you can't afford titanium. I have to dive plastic regs on the job and have to deal with various issues with them that the Conshelf 14 does not have. For most recreational diving situations you will be in it will be hard to beat the value of the Conshelf. There are better regs out there, but you will have to shell out a lot of bucks for them.

My primary single hose regs are all Conshelfs, the XIV and the XI models, specifically. They are bulletproof regs, and easy to rebuild.

I have a friend, instructor, PADI Course Director in Lancaster, TX (Dallas suburb) that is an authorized Aqualung dealer, has been diving since 1966, instructor since 1982 I think. Probably one of the best divers, instructors and equipment people you will ever find. PM me if you like and I'll put you in contact with him. I still buy all my gear from him even though I'm in Colorado.

Not necessarily the best performers, but for the $ they are hard to beat. I have dove the Conshelf 20, 21, and Tech Sea (Nitrox version of the SE3). All of the regs function well within rec limits and are cheap to service. The components are tough as nails, and all can be picked up for under $75.00. The military still uses these due to the ease of service and dependability.

As mentioned above, you really can't go wrong with a Conshelf XIV or later version. The Legend & Titan are basically just modern versions of the Conshelf serires. You might also look at the SEA series. They will probably be a little more expensive than a used conshelf. Again, it's just a modified Conshelf, but you should be able to find those on ebay, or used from a dive shop. You might want to check with your LDS on servicing used equipment. There have been some horror stories about LDS's & how they treat customers with gear they know they bought used.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom