Introducing the VT3 - Now Available

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doug Krause

Contributor
Reaction score
San Leandro, California (just south of Oakland)
*** FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE ***

OCEANIC LAUNCHES THE VT3 WIRELESS DIVE COMPUTER

INTERNATIONAL FIELD EVALUATION TEAM GIVES “THUMBS-UP”
San Leandro, CA June 30, 2006 --Those looking to upgrade or enter the world of wireless air integration with a slim, elegant Personal Dive Computer (PDC), will love Oceanic’s new VT3, announced today. VT3 is Oceanic’s first PDC to offer their patent-pending Buddy Pressure Check™ - the ability to detect and monitor wireless transmitters mounted on a buddy’s first stage. Highlighted by a polished stainless steel housing keeper, this elegantly designed PDC is all about quality, from the feel of the operating buttons to the sharp, crisp display. VT3 is a modern classic true to its Oceanic heritage – a feature rich PDC that is packed with advanced technology, proprietary features and Oceanic’s trademark ease-of-use.
For those already familiar with the VT3’s predecessor, the VT Pro – you’ll appreciate the following improvements:
1. Updated cosmetic design – redesigned decal and polished stainless steel housing keeper and operating buttons
2. Buddy Pressure CheckTM allows monitoring of up to two “buddy” transmitters
3. Switch between up to 3 independent transmitters for multiple cylinder use
4. 3 Nitrox mix compatibility to 100%
5. Bolder, easy-to-read digits
6. Dedicated Free Dive Mode allows switching between SCUBA and Free Diving during the same dive period and features dive time in min:sec, 1-second sampling rate, an automatic 30-second elapsed dive time alarm, countdown timer and 3 independent maximum depth alarms
7. Personal Conservative Factor Adjustment
8. Alpha-Numeric Message Box Display clearly identifies data and alarm conditions
9. Adjustable Safety Stop Time and Depth
10. Includes OceanLog Software and USB V2 Cable for both data download and settings upload
11. 512 Memory Capacity – double that of the VT Pro

Prior to release, real users and customers on both coasts of the US, Great Lakes, Florida, Cayman Islands, Australia, Germany, Red Sea, and the UK test dove the VT3. The purpose was to test the product for all functions in a variety of field situations to find any problems that are more likely to show in actual use than in the more controlled in-house testing and qualification process. "The VT3 has undergone the most extensive field evaluation we have ever conducted," said Doug Krause, Marketing Manager for Oceanic Worldwide. "Oceanic is committed to providing not only desirable features and functionality, but a product that holds up to the extreme demands that divers place on their equipment.”

Following is just what a few of the VT3 field evaluators had to say:

The fact that Oceanic wished for their newest product to be evaluated thoroughly before going to market speaks a lot about the integrity of Oceanic and the trust that they put in the opinions of their dealers. Everyone who had an opportunity to see the new computer was excited about its release and I am looking forward to adding it to my product line.
Rich Synowiec - Divers Incorporated - Ann Arbor, Michigan

The button operation makes this one of the easiest computers to set up and use that I’ve ever seen. The custom safety stop depth and time is awesome! I find being able to tailor my stop and many of the other features to the conditions very cool. As for the gas switch routine? It works so much better than the XXXXXX - very nice.
James Volk - Underwater Sports - Seattle, Washington

At first glance, it looks REALLY GOOD. Anyone who’s been around when the evaluation dives were conducted thought the same – it drew everyone’s attention. I like the message box – when the alarm goes off, the reason is very clearly displayed. Great transmission for air readings throughout all dives. Overall, I found it to be a very rugged, good quality product that promised to be able to take me as far as I wish to go with my diving.
Warren Salliss - Sal Diving Company - United Kingdom

One word – AWESOME!
Jason Blackwell - Dive Dive Dive - Queensland, Australia

I found that the menus were very easy to navigate. From setting the time to setting the transmitters the flow was easy and the menus "Set F" to "set U" always allowed you to remember what you were setting. The dive mode was easy to understand and use. The screen was laid out very well with all the numbers being easy to read at any depth or light. Switching gases underwater could not have been any easier. I was diving with a stage bottle on most of the dives (40%) and it was nice to switch when I wanted to. The Buddy Pressure Check feature was great. I never had to ask my buddy how their air supply was.
Bob Scarsafava. - Anacortes Diving and Supply - Anacortes, Washington

The VT3 Wireless Dive Computer has an MSRP of US$599.95 for the wrist unit only or US$999.95 complete with wireless transmitter and is available from Oceanic’s network of Authorized Dealers throughout the world. More information may be found at: www.OceanicWorldwide.com/p_computers_vt3.html

Oceanic is a California-based company and one of the largest dive equipment-manufacturing corporations in the world. Its high performance instruments, regulators, buoyancy compensators, masks, fins, snorkels, thermal wear, and accessories are sold by more than 600 U.S. dive retailers, and worldwide through more than 30 independent distributors and Oceanic affiliate companies in Australia, Singapore, Japan, England, Germany, and Italy.

For more information visit: www.OceanicWorldwide.com

####

'Bout time Doug!! :wink:

We've had a ton of customers waiting to get the VT3, and good to see we've got dozens heading in our direction. You have made for some happy divers this summer!

I just ordered two of them w/ transmitters. Looking forward to putting it through the paces. When I first heard about the buddy check, I thought "What if someone checks their buddy's air, and then forgets to switch back to their transmitter and runs out of air?" I looked at the manual, which you published online before releasing the product, and I think you have built in precautions to prevent this. As I recall, it says "buddy" or something along those lines when viewing your buddy's air.

I have hundreds of dives on other wireless air integrated computers, and my biggest complaint has been locking on to a code while on the deck of the boat. This has been with Suunto, and not your products. I am hoping that Oceanic does not have these problems, and that I won't have to waive my arm around the transmitter for 3 minutes like a moron before rolling into the water.

Getting back to the buddy check, I like the idea of this feature a lot, assuming it works well. My son is a fairly inexperienced diver, so it'll be nice to check his air during the course of a dive. I would imagine this feature would be popular with instructors, as well.

I'll post my thoughts after a few dives.

I just got both computers delivered yesterday. I have not been out diving yet, but so far I am impressed with the menu system and some other features. I like that the transmitter is actually linked to the computer via serial number, not a code like the Suunto. When you go to program your buddy, you enter the serial from his transmitter. Most impressive is how quickly the computer found the transmitter signal. I cranked the air on and within 3 seconds it was displaying the pressure in the tank. Didn't have to place the computer right next to the transmitter, or any nonsense like that.

good price for 3 gases multigas computer....

We picked up 2 VT3's yesterday from ScubaToys. Can't wait to try them out!!

As usual, Joe, Larry, and the ScubaToy's crew were great to work with. ScubaToys is definitely the best place for all your Scuba gear.

Doug, I am trying to obtain a new VT3 but divers supply informed me it would take 2-4 weeks to get one. I would like one sooner. Please help.
Thanks

fireman0232:
Doug, I am trying to obtain a new VT3 but divers supply informed me it would take 2-4 weeks to get one. I would like one sooner. Please help.
Thanks

I PM'd you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom