Scubapro gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oconnor69

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi folks. I am a begiiner diver lookin to get my self kitted out. I will be diving year round in the UK and holidaying in the Caribbean or Med and so need good, all round kit.
Currently top of my (very) short list is the Scubapro MK17/S555 with R395 Octo & a T-Sport BCD. The reg/octo set-up appears to be well reviewed in the mags and the T-sport get's similarly good reviews as a simple, light weight BCD suitable for bot cold & warm waters.

Has anyone used this kit and can comment or got suggestions for similar alternatives.

Thanks,

John :coffee:

While I am unfamiliar with the BCD that you mention, I can say that many folks around here say that the MK17/S555 is a nice combo. I have a Scubapro BCD and it's quality is very good. If you can get an AIR2 unit (integrated low pressure inflator/secondary regulator) for your BCD, I would, as it would eliminate one thing dangling. I started without one, and quickly learned that one less hose dangling would be nice. Of course, it's all about personal preference. Take care.

bolantej:
While I am unfamiliar with the BCD that you mention, I can say that many folks around here say that the MK17/S555 is a nice combo. I have a Scubapro BCD and it's quality is very good. If you can get an AIR2 unit (integrated low pressure inflator/secondary regulator) for your BCD, I would, as it would eliminate one thing dangling. I started without one, and quickly learned that one less hose dangling would be nice. Of course, it's all about personal preference. Take care.

You will now get at least 25 posts telling you that you will DIE if you get an AIR2.

MK17/S555 is reliable good performance combo set....T- sport BCD got no idea....
Welcome to Scuba Board
oconnor69:
Currently top of my (very) short list is the Scubapro MK17/S555 with R395 Octo & a T-Sport BCD.

Thanks for the comments and the welcome. I'm pretty happy with my reg choice. The BCD choice is based mainly on magazine research. I'm after something suitable for the cold, dark waters of the UK as well as the clear blue bahamas. I've seen plenty I like but want something reasonably light for travelling. That's all!!!

ZzzKing:
You will now get at least 25 posts telling you that you will DIE if you get an AIR2.
:lol:

I'm kidding of course. One of my dive buddies has one and he loves it. I used to have a similar device (sherwood shadow). Found that it is more difficult to breathe off of while inflating or deflating your bc, so now I keep my octo on a short hose with a neclace.

If you are interested in scubapro equipment, might I suggest the knighthawk bcd? Lots of good comments on this board. Also my buddy with the air 2 has this. Again, he loves it.

Seen the Knighthawk but not seen any reviews on it. And as for Air2... I'll probably be getting an octopus inititially and then make changes/additions to my kit as experiance grows (though hopefully not too many as I'm married to an accountant!).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom