Name your best or favorite wreck dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caymaniac

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
My favorite was wreck dive was on the "Grecian" in thunderbay's wreck preserve out of Alpena Mich. 120ft max depth, most of the dive spent at 100ft., the water temp was 60F at 60 ft., but 43F on the wreck, brrrrrrrr. The viz was about 50 - 60 ft. You can penetrate this wreck into the galley. The wreck is broken near the bow, the wreck sits upright and both pieces are close to each other.

Caymaniac

Tricky.

We did a set of dives on the Thistlegorm a while ago. We were the first ones on the wreck that day and it was stunning. I was so distracted that I wasn't monitoring my air or the time as well as I should. We were up and out with no deco required and made a 3 mins safety stop, but lesson learned. The 3rd of the day was a night dive. Brought a whole new perspective on the ship.

Carnatic makes my list as #1, and you actually get three for the price of one when you count the Giannis D and the Crisolla K which are only yards away.

Here is the link to the story:

http://www.touregypt.net/vdc/Carnatic.htm

Thistlegorm comes in 2nd.

U-853, off Block Island, Rhode Island, in 130 fsw.

The wreck is a largely intact WWII U-boat. It can be fully penetrated (I've only gone in a couple of compartments). Lots of cool stuff to see.

I am not much on wreck diving but this has got to be the best one for me. A 270+ft ship laying on her starboard side in 100 ft of water. It's located with the keel against a reef in Bonaire. We do it as a shore dive so the trip out and better yet, the safety stops are on a tropical reef. Shore diving, reef diving and wreck diving all rolled into one, doesn't get any better than that to me.

a sunken schoolbus at Lake Rawlings...although it is a toss up between that and the sunken bus at Millbrook Quarry...

I guess I'd have to say the Madeira up at Split Rock in Lake Superior as that's the only real wreck I've got to dive so far.

Hmmm.... that's a hard one, but I would vote for the Ethel C off of the Eastern shore of VA. It's about 185' to 190' fsw to the sand, but there is a lot of relief.

Robert:doctor:

Back
Top Bottom