Leg conditioning?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buoyant1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I know that the best leg work out for diving is...MORE DIVING...but what suggestions does anyone have for someone that doesn't get to dive as often as he would like (errr...that'd be me) so that when I DO get to dive, I'm not cramping and running out of leg strength.

Case in point...I am very active, weight more than I would like, but who doesn't..I hit the gym 3-5 days every week and do a half hour of cardio on an elliptical, some times on a bike...I do a little leg training but nothing over the top.

Today, I went diving for the first time in 6 months...first dive...I started feeling the legs get weaker, but stayed up with the rest of the crew...did a modified frog kick when the legs got a little tired...(to my credit...it was the first time using my 7mm suit and I was having some buoyancy issues...dropping a little weight solved it on the second dive.)

BUT...On the second dive, I got a slight cramp in the front of my left leg rubbed it out...then had a little bout in my right calf...nothing that a quick stretch didn't work out..but I was not making much headway with my flutter kick after that.

Any suggestions would be great!

I've heard that squats, leg extensions and leg curls are good for divers. I'd be interested to hear more, also.

Buoyant1:
BUT...On the second dive, I got a slight cramp in the front of my left leg rubbed it out...then had a little bout in my right calf...nothing that a quick stretch didn't work out..but I was not making much headway with my flutter kick after that.

Any suggestions would be great!

Maybe a different fin would help? What fins do you dive?

I've been working out at the gym with a "freemotion" set of machines. they are not the single pivot machines but require stabilizer muscles in addition to the main muscles. I've used the calf machine and find that my calves don't cramp as much when using any fins. something you can do at home go to a set of stair and do one leg at a time calf raises. It'll be really difficult finding your balance at first but will become easier.

Mares Plana Avanti...They're pretty forgiving and when I'm diving a little more actively (or getting some pool time to "work out" with them) they are fine...

TheRedHead:
Maybe a different fin would help? What fins do you dive?

Buoyant1:
Mares Plana Avanti...They're pretty forgiving and when I'm diving a little more actively (or getting some pool time to "work out" with them) they are fine...

Maybe you should try a different kick like a frog kick? The stiff legged pump kick that we are taught is not the most efficient kick.

Unless you dive for a living, it is unlikely you'll get enough water time to truly condition your muscles for diving without doing something extra on the surface.

Frog kick is great for using your muscles efficiently, but you can still condition your legs for diving while improving general fitness and health at the same time. For starters, cycling uses the leg muscles in ways very simlar to kicking, especially frog kick. I've explained the kinesiology in other posts before, so I will avoid repeating myself here. The key is to use the straps on bikes at the gym or get "clipless" pedals and cycling shoes for your road or mountain bike, if you have one. That way, you can pedal in "circles" instead of "squares" and condition all of the muscles in your legs for finning.

Also, you can do stretches and strength training for your calves, the muscles most prone to cramping in divers. I have an article specifically about this at http://www.divefitness.com/html/articles.html.

Cameron

That's a great website, Cameron, I've perused it several times in the past. Good article, as well.

A bit off subject, but how many days a week would you recommend the 45 min. Total Workout for max. benefit?

I used to have the same problem until I started using my fins in the swimming pool a few times a week. This has really solved the cramping for me. I'm a weak swimmer as well so never really enjoyed the pool that much, until now that is. Also it's a good idea to stretch out your leg muscle on dry land just before you get suited up. Stretching brings fresh blood and oxygen to the muscles so they're ready for action when you dive in. Hope this was of some use.
Sea-Squirt

Stretching will help avoid cramps more than anything else. There are several calf-stretching and other leg muscle stretching routines you can do before diving...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom