Wireless Transmitter - Forward/Backward Compatibility

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jazzdiver

Registered
Reaction score
Doug,

I've a question I hope you can answer. I currently have a DataTrans Plus with the wireless transmitter and a DataMax Sport with an expired battery, the latter no longer replaceable but an upgrade to the Veo 180 being offered at a good price. Rather than do that, I'm more interested in seeing if I might get any discount on a newer wireless computer, most likely the VT Pro or VT3 (preferably). I've always kept the DataMax Sport in my BCD pocket as a backup on dives and that would be the new place for my DataTrans if I bought a new computer. But, I wondered if I'd have the advantage of still having wireless tank pressure monitoring. This led me to questioning whether one transmitter would work effectively with two computers, and I verified today at ScubaToys that indeed, a current Wireless Transmitter is backward compatible to the DataTrans Plus, as it and the Aeris Elite used at the store were reporting the tank pressure accurately. Sweet!

As I drove home, I realized I should have taken in my tranmitter to test for forward compatiblity. That is, would current wireless Oceanic/Aeris computers work with my 8-year old transmitter without a problem? It seems they should since tank pressure is the only data transmitted and I'd expect similar encoding to be used. But, if any changes have been made to help prevent signal loss, provide faster sampling of tank pressures, etc. then I could see where forward compatibility may be less likely found than backward. If I were to buy a complete computer/transmitter set, then at least I know my old transmitter would provide me an ability to make use of the VT3's Buddy Check feature if ever there was a reason, or simply provide a spare in the event of a failure while on a trip. But, if the new transmitters are no different from the old ones, the added cost of a tranmitter would sure be a nice savings at a time when I'm making some serious investments into u/w photo gear. Of course, I may even decide to forego any new computer purchase at all since the DataTrans Plus works great and only has the drawback of being bulkier than newer models; I even realized it presents more info...the ascent rate and air consumption rate graphics which are useful to someone who tends to suck a tank dry pretty easily when toting a camera rig.

I appreciate your feedback on this.

Daryl

I've now had a chance to verify my old transmitter works with a newer computer (VT Pro), so I'm awaiting my local dive shop's reciept of the VT3for a final test, after which I anticipate buying the computer only unless I get a good price on the complete set.

Daryl

Enjoy the VT3!

Cerich,

Thanks, but I've yet to buy the VT3. Do you know if there is any reason not to use the wireless transmitter from my DataTrans Plus with the VT3?

Thanks,

Daryl

Jazzdiver:
Cerich,

Thanks, but I've yet to buy the VT3. Do you know if there is any reason not to use the wireless transmitter from my DataTrans Plus with the VT3?

Thanks,

Daryl

Not that I'm aware of, however I'm not so sure on very early transmitters, I will check and let you know.

Best,

Chris

Chris,

Thanks again. It's purely a guess, but as the transmitter sends air only, I'd think the same protocol is still used. But I am particularly curious if any improvements have been made - affecting the transmitter specifically - in regard to the loss of the wireless link. I'm always toting a camera w/strobes, and have heard that supposedly this has been improved, but I've no idea if that is fact or fiction and, if fact, where the improvements were implemented. I had wondered also about the dive profile sampling rate, and whether an older transmitter could support a faster sampling. The sample rate may not even apply to the air data however.

Thanks,

Daryl

Daryl,

My apologies for not answering sooner, I've been out of the office for an unusually long holiday weekend. To address your question as simply as possible - as you've confirmed, your DataTrans transmitter will work with the VT3. The electronics and physical packaging of the current transmitter have been improved in a number of ways - ultimately providing more consistent transmission, increased transmission range and increased durability. I too have heard that strobes have little or no effect on transmission, although I would invite others that frequently use the newer style transmitter (ATOM/VT Pro) and a camera to comment. Sampling rates are unaffected.

Doug Krause:
.... I too have heard that strobes have little or no effect on transmission, although I would invite others that frequently use the newer style transmitter (ATOM/VT Pro) and a camera to comment. Sampling rates are unaffected.

I have the 2RF Atom and have noticed interference from DPV's and even my 24w HID light, alternate the hand/port the transmitter is on and it is no longer an issue.....I guess it all depends on the frequency or the magnetic/electrical filed the devices produce.

Doug,

Thanks for your reply...I'm not at all suprised that improvements would have been made to the transmitter in the 8 years since I bought the DataTrans Plus. So, I will go with the VT3 Complete Set and use its transmitter, with the DTP as a backup in my BCD pocket. Then, if a problem arises with the current transmitter, I can use that from my DTP as a backup. I was leaning in that direction anyway.

Hope you enjoyed your vacation, thanks again.

Daryl

Pardon my bumping this thread, but I'd rather not start a new one for something that fits just as well here.

I currently have a VT3, but with no transmitter. I'm fairly certain the transmitter from an Atom will work just as well as a newer one, but would prefer to double check before I buy it. Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom