lil' whine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidspot

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
After completing today's dive about 10:30 ( http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=145267 ) I figured I'd run a few errands before heading off to work. I drove into Kahului, hit Costco (just figuratively) visited a friend, and about 2:30 began the 30 minute drive back to Lahaina so I'd have time to get cleaned up for work at 4pm. I left Kahului with 1/4 tank of gas and at Maalaea harbor hit traffic (18 miles to go) it was bumper to bumper, stop and go. After sitting in the traffic for nearly 30 minutes, and going about 2 miles, I realized the gas tank was getting near empty and I was not going to make it back home on that tank of gas (normally would have been plenty) So I turned around and went back to fill up the tank, then sit through the same traffic again... 1 hr later I was finally back at the same spot again and had plenty of gas in the tank... but now the engine was overheating (my truck is 18 yrs old) so I turned the heater on high and rolled the windows down ...

The clock was well past 4 now (I did call and tell the shop I was running late) and between the heat outside and the additional heat inside I was rapidly beginning to think everything was quite funny ... especially the sour cream and lettuce sitting in the back of my truck rapidly changing texture and smell...

As the clock approached 5 I finally approached home (only 2 1/2 hrs later) grabbed a quick shower and headed off to work - I am SO glad the shop is air conditioned ... and the Dairy Queen next door brought me a "mistake" they had made ... a nice cold Oreo Cheescake Blizzard :p

ya' know what ... this has been a really fun day :D

Aloha, Tim

I really noticed the last couple times I was in Maui that the traffic there had gotten pretty bad. The traffic was almost as bad as Oahu's.

It has been several years since I've been (jeez time flies) and I think at the time there were some road widening projects.

agreed - when I first moved here in 93', there were 2 annual traffic jams (both surrounding parades). Now it's a daily event (not the parades though...) and we have more accidents that shut the road down completely - happened twice this past week where an accident shut down the only road into Lahaina.

I normally don't mind the traffic as I just relax and enjoy the scenery, but the other day was a bit ludicrous (since there was no accident even) and I found myself laughing a lot on that drive (or maybe it was the heat?)

At least the day ended with ice cream :D

Aloha, Tim

P.S. We're not as bad as Oahu yet ... but it's getting there, and they continue to widen roads everywhere except Lahaina...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom