Bent Spanner on Apeks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FFMDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
I bent the pin of my brand new "peter" pin spanner wrench while attempting to remove the diaphragm clamp (counter-clockwise turn) from the valve body of my 1 year-old DST. Did this after mounting the reg on a bench vice and slipping a pipe over the hook spanner for leverage...sucker wont turn... Does anyone have any recommendations for removal? Thank you.

Thats why god made monkey wrenches...

Was it Apeks acting like a monkey screwing the dumb thing on so TIGHT? Anyhow, its off... put some great bite marks in it. Used a file to take the scoring down but it looks rather nasty. Does not effect functionality. Any ideas for my other Apeks? Tapping on it? Throwing the whole thing in a an ultrasonic cleaner??

I just did a search for pin spanners and came up with a thread with pics of a nice custom tool someone made...might want to take a look

This is a constant problem with the Apeks dry sealed system. I've broken 2 spanner wrentches already on these regs. Now, if I get a real stingy one, I soak it in really hot water for 5 - 10 minutes and possibly drop the whole thing in the sonic cleaner for 5 minutes. Then I put it in the vice upside down meaning the dry seal cap goes in the vice with a rubber bike tube on it for protection and the rest of the first stage is facing up. Then I take another old bike tube tied in a loop and wrap it around the first stage and crank on it with a big set of channel locks. Seems to work everytime on the stingy ones and if your carefull and wrap the reg properly there is usually no damage, not even scratches.

Wow, great advice.
Thank you.

Oceanseleven:
This is a constant problem with the Apeks dry sealed system. I've broken 2 spanner wrentches already on these regs. Now, if I get a real stingy one, I soak it in really hot water for 5 - 10 minutes and possibly drop the whole thing in the sonic cleaner for 5 minutes. Then I put it in the vice upside down meaning the dry seal cap goes in the vice with a rubber bike tube on it for protection and the rest of the first stage is facing up. Then I take another old bike tube tied in a loop and wrap it around the first stage and crank on it with a big set of channel locks. Seems to work everytime on the stingy ones and if your carefull and wrap the reg properly there is usually no damage, not even scratches.

Back
Top Bottom