I hate conforming...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

superhelix

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I started a thread a few days ago about what would be the best BC to purchase (I said that I was considering vest vs. back-inflate and leaning to the latter) given that I was moving to Thailand (equals light BC that travels well) and that I was going to be taking my Divemaster course in Koh Tao (did I need to wait until I got my marching orders from the LDS that would then employ me before I bought something).

I went into the LDS and tried on a few BCs after having researched them, and found Seaquest to be a solid company making both the quality Pro QD vest BC that has received excellent reviews on these boards, as well as the super-adjustable and durable back-inflate Raider, which weighed a ton but really looked like a super quality deal if you didn't mind shelling out the extra dough.

Then some other kind souls suggested a few other back-inflate BCs that would be lighter than the Raider and thus more applicable to travel and warm waters.

But Uncle Pug kept on tugging at my subconscious...I have been dreaming about streamlined scuba gear - I have never been one to do as others do simply because they were in the majority, and I never encountered either the term/concept DIR or the BP/W setup before I joined this wonderful board.....

But something strange is happening to me...I can't help it...it is taking over...I am becoming............slowly.......assimilated! There are too many BP/W fanatics, are you all DIR?

Lost Yooper wrote in a previous thread regarding which gear people start and end up with:

The only reasons a recreational diver might want a BP/wing are:

- If you wanted the ultimate in simplicity and reliability.

- If you wanted the ultimate in efficiency and streamlining.

- If you wanted the ultimate in adaptability.

- If you want the ultimate in comfort underwater.

- If you want a system that helps facilitate proper horizontal trim in the water.

- If you're interested in purchasing the last BC for a really long time.

- If you're interested in spending less money than many other recreational and "tech" BC's on the market.

Other than those few minor things, a BP/wing may not be the best choice for you....

Well, combined, I think that Uncle Pug and LY have convinced me to make my FIRST BC purchase a BP/W setup.

I still have a few reservations; namely that I am not "experienced enough" for this purchase, having only 25 dives under my belt, and that I will be a divemaster with radically different gear than those I wish to help out (notice I did not call them "students" ;-)

But, I am sold. The positives clearly outweigh the negatives, and I really like the fact that this purchase could be both economical and practical, as I will be lugging this gear halfway around the world.

There is only one problem. As a newbie, I am by nature confused about all the things I must purchase and configure.

I have my ATX200 regulator, and ATX40 octopus coming in the mail. Am I screwed because my hoses are not long enough? Will I be able to attach my octopus to my gear, and where do I get a necklace for it if that is indeed the only answer?

I think I want to buy the 27lb. Pioneer Wings setup with a Halcyon aluminum backplate and harness. Should this work for me considering my warm water recreational diving on a 6 foot 3 frame and 200 pounds? If I can recall I used to dive with about 14 pounds of weight on my belt.

What weighting system should I get? I prefer the simpler the better. Should I purchase trim weights? Do I need any other weights?

What I guess I am really hoping for is a sympathetic description of what a complete BP/W startup kit should contain, a laundry list. Is converting another soul to BP/W a worthy enough cause for providing the BP/W 101 Intro Course?

Consider a SS plate instead of aluminum. Get the lead off your waist when you can and this is the perfect opportunity to lose some of it.

Necklace is the best attachment. Buy one of Halcyon's pre-mades or make one out of bungee cord.

27 lb Pioneer should work well.

Tom

I just received my 27lb pioneer with SS backplate today. In fact I'm in the process of setting it up. The Apeks atx50/40 regs come in a few days.

While ordering the bp/wings from extreme-exposure I did what Wreckwriter suggested and ordered the bungee necklace, hose kit and some SS bolt snaps.

Good choice with the BP/Wing however I think you'll struggle with it along with the long hose primary/bungee backup reg configuration if you're going to be using that type of gear setup for a PADI Dive Master class or even the PADI Rescue class for that matter. I've heard some of the stuff they make you do in those classes are a real PITA for the gear you're talking about getting and that poodle jackets and short hose/octo configs are better suited for those particular courses. Knowing that, I personally have no plans to take any more PADI courses beyond the AOW that I've gone through. Any further classes I take will most likely be GUE. No offense intended, I'm not trying to tick anyne off, but this is just what I was told by a couple people who have and use the gear you mentioned and have attempted to use it in the mentioned PADI courses.

Like GP said, if you're taking a rescue class, you might want to rent/borrow a poodle jacket for it. DM not so bad but rescue is a PITA and likely will be more so in a BP.

Tom

Gentlemen could you please explain what in the Rescue class would be more difficult in a BP set up? This would seem to be a good educational class that I wanted to take. Since I will be receiving my FredT set today this is very relevant to me.

Lost Yooper,
How's THAT about spending LESS on a BP and wings than a BC? I spent $625 for my DIR rig vs my $350 BC. By the time you assemble a BP and wings pkg, your looking at some BIG money.

?????

I teach rescue while wearing a bp/wing being assisted by DM's wearing bp/wind with students wearing bp/wing. I haven't had any trouble. Oh...and long hoses too.

As a DM you might run into trouble if the shops you work with don't like them.

I have used that set up for my rescue course and my DM course (both thru PADI) and had no problem with it. Its a good learning experience, because not every one in the world wears the same type gear, so its good to have someone in the group with a bp/wing set up so you, students, or whoever knows how to rescue someone with that gear. At least I think so.

Superhelix,

I think that with your 25 dives you'll be fine in this set up. I have seen divers from doing their check out dives to 13 year olds using this set up with no problems. Just make sure that you find someone in the area that you will be in that dives this type set up to help you make sure that you have it set up right. If you need help I'm sure someone on the board knows someone over there.

I do have a question though....when are you planning on doing this DM course? Having just 25 dives under your belt doesn't sound like a whole lot. Have you done rescue yet?

Scuba446 once bubbled...
Lost Yooper,
How's THAT about spending LESS on a BP and wings than a BC? I spent $625 for my DIR rig vs my $350 BC. By the time you assemble a BP and wings pkg, your looking at some BIG money.

?????
In defense of Lost Yooper's comments...the key word was "many" in this quote: "spending less money than many other recreational and "tech" BC's on the market" He didn't say "all". :wink: Plus...ya get what ya pay for.:D

Back
Top Bottom