Reg advise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sharkbaithawaii

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok everyone
I am finally going to upgrade my reg not that i am sure that I want to go on with diving and I have the extra money to spend to get the best one. My question is which one is the best? I do mostly warm water diving above 100 occasionally deeper. I have looked at all of the regs, and have gone to several different stores. I think i have it down to either a Legend LX or the Apeks 200atx, both seems to be the same but for price. And they both come with a free octo for the next couple of days. I am open for suggestions. I intend not to buy another reg.

Go with the Legend. All Aqualung dealers can deal Apeks regs, but many of them don't. So you will find it's a little quicker and easier to get service on an Aqualung reg in more parts of the world as the parts are more likely to be in stock.

I like the Legend LX. The first stage is well made and while it uses a derivative of standard Conshelf design principles, it is easier to service and has a much better LP and HP port layout. The second stage is very similar to the Scubapro S600 but with a poppet that combines the general shape and single o-ring design of the older metal and plastic SP poppet with the lighter plastic construction used in the newer SP S-wing poppet. So it's not an S600 in terms of performance, but it's pretty close.

Sharkbaithawaii:
Ok everyone
I am finally going to upgrade my reg not that i am sure that I want to go on with diving and I have the extra money to spend to get the best one. My question is which one is the best? I do mostly warm water diving above 100 occasionally deeper. I have looked at all of the regs, and have gone to several different stores. I think i have it down to either a Legend LX or the Apeks 200atx, both seems to be the same but for price. And they both come with a free octo for the next couple of days. I am open for suggestions. I intend not to buy another reg.
If you go for the Apeks reg, go for the XTX200 rather than the ATX200.

Either reg will work well. I would suggest you buy the one that you can get serviced in your area. DA Aquamaster makes a very good point.

DA Aquamaster:
Go with the Legend. All Aqualung dealers can deal Apeks regs, but many of them don't. So you will find it's a little quicker and easier to get service on an Aqualung reg in more parts of the world as the parts are more likely to be in stock.

I like the Legend LX. The first stage is well made and while it uses a derivative of standard Conshelf design principles, it is easier to service and has a much better LP and HP port layout. The second stage is very similar to the Scubapro S600 but with a poppet that combines the general shape and single o-ring design of the older metal and plastic SP poppet with the lighter plastic construction used in the newer SP S-wing poppet. So it's not an S600 in terms of performance, but it's pretty close.

Aqualung also makes the Apexs.

AJ Tudor:
If you go for the Apeks reg, go for the XTX200 rather than the ATX200.

Why is the XTX better than the ATX?

Apeks is a subsidiary of Aqualung but again many Aqualung dealers choose to not stock Apeks regs. It's often a question of "why bother" in many areas and unless there is a specific demand for Apeks regs, they really do not fill a unique market niche that is not already covered by one of the shops other brands - in this case Aqualung itself.

GulfCostdiver:
Why is the XTX better than the ATX?
The XTX series uses a reversible second stage where the inlet fitting can be moved to the left side of the second stage rather than the right side. They also can switch between a large or small exhaust tee.

Nice features but not really all that useful for the average diver who wants to keep an octo on the standard side and who does not have a need for a low profile exhaust tee. As far as the reversible inlet fitting goes, on regs where this is possible (some SP regs, in addition to Apeks) I have never actually had a request to do it.

The XTX also has a shiny chrome first stage rather than the brushed chrome used on the ATX.

Scottri:
Either reg will work well. I would suggest you buy the one that you can get serviced in your area. DA Aquamaster makes a very good point.

Best adive I ever got. I am currently on vacation in Cali, so I called back to Hawaii to my LDS and was surprised when they told me they don't even carry Apeks. Not that I know if this is true, but they explained that Apeks is a big thing in Europe, and that the Legend and the atx 200 are basically the same thing made on the same line at AL. then I asked what the DM/DI use and most of them have legends. I remember a couple of dives with them, and seeing use them once I thought about it. So thanks for making me ask the right question. Saved me 150 on the reg and got the oct for free.

I'm glad it worked out for you. You made a great choice. It should work well for years to come.

Back
Top Bottom