Which regulator for newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thresa

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am looking into purchasing a regulator. I will be diving warm water only no deeper than 100 feet...if even that deep (mostly around 60 feet). I have started looking at regulators and am not sure exactly what I need or what brand would suit me best.

So would I need a balanced first stage and second stage? What about over balanced?

I've looked at aqualung since you can get a free octopus with purchase. My LDS didn't have much to say about zeagle (which they did carry) and really pushed aqualung.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Apeks also has the deal with the free octo, Apeks is distributed by Aqualung.
For warm water, either will suit you fine.

cant go wrong with either the aqualung or the zeagle regs

I have dove Zeagle and the Atomic M1, I own 5 of the M1's and love them. The Zeagles are also a fine brand, I just like the way the M1 breathes better

Haven't dove the other regs

Cheers

Thresa:
I am looking into purchasing a regulator. I will be diving warm water only no deeper than 100 feet...if even that deep (mostly around 60 feet). I have started looking at regulators and am not sure exactly what I need or what brand would suit me best.

So would I need a balanced first stage and second stage? What about over balanced?

I've looked at aqualung since you can get a free octopus with purchase. My LDS didn't have much to say about zeagle (which they did carry) and really pushed aqualung.

Thresa,

Many good brands out there. You have to try pretty hard to wind up with a not very good regulator.

I would suggest you contact a company called Scubatoys. SB members get a 10% discount from them. They have an outstanding selection and a knowledgable staff. And if any problems ever develop with your purchase, they bend over backwards to make things right.

They carry several top brands including Zeagle. If you wind up going with a Zeagle reg, you will be happy.

For what you are doing as far as diving pretty much any name brand regulator will suffice. I might suggest the sherwood oasis as a good warm water recreational regulator. It has the added benefit of having moisture retention.

However I have a Zeagle envoy deluxe that I love. As far as contacting scubatoys, I second that.

The balanced vs unbalanced argument is not always well understood; with the 1st stage, about the only unbalanced design you'll find is a basic piston like the scubapro MK2. With diaphraghm 1st stages, I don't think you can find an unbalanced one; could be wrong, but I've never heard of one. Anyhow, a balanced 1st stage provides a stable intermediate pressure regardless of the tank pressure, so the idea is that the very last breath of air out of a tank will feel the same as a full tank. An unbalanced 1st stage will start to drop in IP as the tank pressure falls below 500 PSI. In my MK2, this results in a SLIGHT increase in resistance in breathing that's noticable at about 300PSI and increases as the pressure gets lower. There are lots of divers (and dive shops!) that will say that this is a bad characteristic of a reg, maybe even dangerous. Personally, I think it's a safety feature; you'll still be able to get the air, the only difference is if, as a newbie, you forget to monitor your air supply (or your SPG fails) you'll get a "reminder" that you're low on gas. As a practical matter, any diver, especially a new diver, that's still submerged with only 300PSI probably needs that reminder to head for the surface.

Balanced 2nd stages require less spring pressure to remain closed and as such can be set to lighter resistance. This is a good thing, but it's important to remember that we're talking about subtleties that will almost certainly be lost on a brand new diver. Any decent quality reg that's in good adjustment is not going to feel like it's not delivering plenty of air. Balanced and unbalanced regs respond to depth in exactly the same way; if someone tells you unbalanced regs perform poorly at depth they're not telling you the truth. Now, the overall performance of a reg is tested more at depth, so high performance regs will deliver more air at depths. As an example I can tell you from experience that there is not much difference between my MK2 R190 and my MK15 G250 (which is a very high performance reg) at depths up to 130 ft, which is as deep as I've been with both. On direct comparison, you can tell the difference, but it's not at all like the MK2 is unsatisfactory at that depth.

I think regs like the SPMK2 and other basic designs get a bad rap from divers who often encounter them as rental regs; rental companies love them because they're cheap and durable. But, since rental companies often don't have their regs tuned well, divers who dive with them are often getting regs that don't perform up to par.

To be honest, there are so many good, reliable, inexpensive regs out there that if you're concerned about the balanced/unbalanced bit, you can choose from several balanced regs without spending much. What I would look for is a reg you can get serviced easily in your area and whereever you plan to dive. This tends to exclude some esoteric regs and favors the big companies that have world wide distribution; SP, aqualung, mares. Zeagle will not have the same international presence (like if you need a part in indonesia) but so many people speak so highly of the zeagle envoy that you'd want to take a look at it. Likewise, I'd recommend scubatoys as a good place to shop; those guys are great with service. But, you won't be able to buy aqualung or SP regs from them unless you go to the shop, although if I remember a while back they were closing out some MK2s and could sell them online.

It's a tough thing choosing a reg as a new diver; most people will just tell you to get what they dive, and it's tough to "try before you buy" except maybe in a pool with a rental reg. The good news is that you're probably not going to go wrong with any reg from one of the reputable companies.

Support your local dive shop and don't bother with ScubaToys.

It will pay off in the long run to use someone local if you ever need any service work done. Plus, its a good idea to personally know the guy that's working on your life support equipment.

As for the regulator...

Aqualung makes an excellent, well-engineered regulator that will always be dependable.

Plus the free octo does sweeten the deal. If you can't splurge for the Legend, the Titan LX sounds like it would be right up your alley.

Just about any reg you buy from a reputable shop will suit you, really, they're more similar than different.
My LDS pushed Aqua Lung too, but they practice what they preach - all the instructors, DMs, etc. use 'em as their first line in the water. I bought the Titan LX - couldn't pass up the free octo!* - and it's great. It also made the grade in the recent "Muscle Reg" bench tests of that diving mag (Sport Diver? Diving? I forget just now, but it's linked on another thread). The Legend is their Mercedes line, overbalanced and all that, which is superfluous for people like us, but it does have the cool ACD feature (closes the first stage off so if you forget the dust cap it stays sealed, pretty neat).

Given the recent moral issues with AL though (see that other thread, no need to rewrite it here), I'd like my next reg to be another brand - just for some variety really, more than anything - and the nice folks at ScubaToys have convinced me that the Aeris Atmos regs are likely the best value out there** (and my LDS carries them too). Aeris is even located in my general area, so if there were ever questions or issues, I know where they live, as it were... :wink:

* - the free octo added-value may be moot however, if you buy a less expensive reg than the AL's, so it's not a slam-dunk.
** - bearing in mind, of course, that 'value' doesn't equal 'cheap', even if it sometimes overlaps.

Thresa:

I own two Aqualung Legend LX and one Aqualung Titan Micra ADJ. The Legend LX is the cream of the crop in the A_L family. In my estimation, it can't be beat. I used to own a Sherwood Oasis, 1990 vintage. I have tried various models from Scubapro, Dacor, Mares, Zeagle and Poseidon. While all good regs, for my money Aqualung takes it hands down.

But that is a personal preference.

My advise is try before you buy. Try at least 3 manufacturers and a couple of models from each. Find a LDS that is willing to let you try various regs and is willing to applying some or all of your rental fee towards the purchase.

Let me know if you have questions regarding A-L, I still have some contacts with dealers in Texas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom