7-2-6 Whiskey Wreck and 7-3-6 West Beach Paddlewheeler Dive Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
7-2-6 Whiskey Wreck Dive Report

After diving Destin Jetties on both 7-1 & 7-2(AM), I headed back to Alabama with plans to do another dive in Gulf Shores in the PM of 7-2-6. I met up with NateBrr and Hannah at Bahama Bob's overflow parking and we geared up and headed to the beach. The surf was up a bit and running 2-3' with choppy seas. The skies were overcast and there was sawgrass floating around. Wayward Son and Pufferfish eventually made their way to us and we agreed to go ahead with the dive. NateBrr and Hannah had a bit of trouble with the surf entry and opted to call the dive until they got a little more experience under their weight belts. I had no problem finding the wreck and I secured the flag without incident. Visibility was 5-8', probably better if we had the sun working for us(overcast skies prevailed though). There was surge on the wreck, so we had to be cautious not to run up on the barnacle encrusted remains. There were the normal schools of spades, pinfish, pigfish, mangroves, lesser AJs, ect and I even spotted a few flounder. Pufferfish decided there wasn't enough flounder to shoot or enough life to look at to keep him occupied so the dive was called at 25min with a max depth of 17'. I guess our beach dives aren't for everyone, I had fun though.

7-3-6 West Beach Paddlewheeler Dive Report

After work on Monday afternoon(7-3-6), I decided to head out for another dive in Gulf Shores. USCGflyer was available for a dive so he joined me in Gulf Shores and we headed out to the West Beach Paddlewheeler. Surf was running slightly smaller than the day before and visibility was 5-10' with the surge still present. There was a bit more sawgrass on the Paddlewheeler site than at the Whiskey, but not enough to degrade the dive at all. We saw quite a few mangroves that looked to be legal and spotted atleast a half dozen flounder onsite. I also found a loose copper spike on the wreck that we pulled by hand. USCG found a bronze, square nail as well. My first artifact! :D The dive lasted 56 minutes before we headed back and our max depth was 17'.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom