DPV Information

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adrisen

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I want to purchase a DPV. I have been looking at the Seadoo seascooter VS or gti model. Any suggestions. I can't seem to be able to purchase either from my area, no dive shops sell them. Sams club sells one that goes to 65 feet and it is a seadoo seascooter, I can order the VS from Costco. There must be a way to purchase one locally. Has anyone ever used one of these or purchased one? What are your thoughts on it.

Ashley.

Ashley,
Your comment about Costco having Seadoo Scooters piqued my curiosity so I went on their site. I looked everywhere, but I didn't see the Seadoo model on there. The closest thing that they have is a "Hawk" DPV, but it's only rated to 65' (supposedly tested to 98'). I'm still thinking of getting it just because of Costco's awesome return policy, but it definitely not the VS or GTI. Can you tell me where you saw the VS or GTI?

Thanks!

adrisen:
I want to purchase a DPV. I have been looking at the Seadoo seascooter VS or gti model. Any suggestions. I can't seem to be able to purchase either from my area, no dive shops sell them. Sams club sells one that goes to 65 feet and it is a seadoo seascooter, I can order the VS from Costco. There must be a way to purchase one locally. Has anyone ever used one of these or purchased one? What are your thoughts on it.

Ashley.

Don't mean any offense here, but if you're going to purchase a scooter don't get that POS Seadoo. They're slow, can't take 'em anywhere close to depth and people will laugh at you!! You can find used Teknas for $500 - $750 which are far better, or you might want to look at used Makos/Aries. That Seadoo is something I'll let my baby girl run around in the pool when she grows up!!

In the upper end there's Gavin's and a new on the market, but well talked about, the "X-Scooter". However, If you want to get the best, buy an SS. Have a look at http://silent-submersion.com They're pricey, but IMHO there's no substitute, Rodney and Susie are great to deal with and will go out of their way for you. I have two UV-26's and love them :)

Rich Courtney:
In the upper end there's Gavin's and a new on the market, but well talked about, the "X-Scooter". However, If you want to get the best, buy an SS.

How/why is the SS "the best"?

it is at www.costco.ca.

Sams club in Richmond Hill Ontario has one that I think is rated to 65, or 85 feet. I saw the one there in person.

As to people laughing, why is that?

The Seadoo VS is rated to 100 feet testd at 115 feet, can travel to 4 km an hour. I do not need a heavy piece of equiment. All I am looking for is a little added fun. It is just a toy for me. I am not looking to break the bank on one.

Although I do know a diveop that does a scooter specialty with GTI's, I'd have to agree with Richard above. Plus as he says you don't want:
people to laugh at you!!
If finances preclude getting an Aeris/Mako or Apollo AV2- which would be my first choice for recreational use - then at least consider the new Seadoo, it's rated to 160'. Although it's double the cost of the other Seadoos. DiveRite also has a scooter line. I also really like the looks of the X-Scooter, just can't justify the cost for my purposes.

http://www.scuba.com/shop/product.a...edium=&utm_term=seadoo explorer&utm_campaign=

adrisen:
it is at www.costco.ca.

Sams club in Richmond Hill Ontario has one that I think is rated to 65, or 85 feet. I saw the one there in person.

As to people laughing, why is that?

The Seadoo VS is rated to 100 feet testd at 115 feet, can travel to 4 km an hour. I do not need a heavy piece of equiment. All I am looking for is a little added fun. It is just a toy for me. I am not looking to break the bank on one.

Nothing wrong with it at all, as long as you realize that it is just a toy!!

I dive a lot in high flow cave and I watched a guy one time trying to dive a Seadoo and it didn't even have enough power to move him forward in the flow.

But if you're not looking to break the bank, I suppose it's an okay choice :) I just hate to see people buy gear twice and if you like scootering, you're probably going to want to upgrade anyways in the future.

If you can try and "borrow" a couple of different styles/brands and see which one you like, remember that the cheapest is usually the cheapest for a reason....

Safe diving,

Rich

Vie:
How/why is the SS "the best"?

Just my opinion, but it handles better, is faster, easier to ride and better designed than any other scooter on the market! And yes, I have ridden all of them. When you spend that kind of money you want to be sure! Of course most SS owners will swear they're the best, as will most Gavin owners....although I do have a friend who rides an SS when others aren't looking :)

Check out this link for some comparisons....

http://thedecostop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11159&highlight=scooter+comparison

Safe diving,

Rich

adrisen:
<snip> I do not need a heavy piece of equiment. All I am looking for is a little added fun. It is just a toy for me. I am not looking to break the bank on one.
With this as your engineering goal, you would probabally do fine with the Seadoo VS.

It is NOT a piece of crafted life support equipment, so I'd keep in mind:
>never scooter further than you can easily swim back.
>don't plan a dive based on the scooter's capabilities.
>plan (with your buddy) now for an OOA, and how you'll deal with the scooter.
>speaking of a buddy, won't they need one too?

Keep in mind that it's really a toy and you'll have lots of fun with it.

<tounge in cheek> BTW, speaking as an X-driver, why is the SS "the best"?

All the best, James

fdog:
<tounge in cheek> BTW, speaking as an X-driver, why is the SS "the best"?
It allows the user to skip his workouts when dragging that heavy thing around. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom