Personal compressor question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

serambin

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,

I'm thinking about getting a compressor to:

1. Refill air tanks.

2. Setup a Nitrox mixing system for EAN to 40%.

I've looked at the filtration required, and I am aware of the dangers involved. I have a good friend that owns the local oxygen supply company and he assured me, that if the system is setup correctly, a partial pressure filling station is safe.

Can anyone recommend a compressor? Fill time is not an issue, as I will be able to bank the filtered air.

To answer the obvious question, I can not get nitrox fills in my area or near the lakes in Ar. I like to dive.

TIA,

Stan

I had a Coltri Sub 5cfm portable for a while and I partial pressure blended and continuous mixed with it without a problem. Try these sites: www.nuvair.com or www.americanairworks.com

I know this is an old thread, but if you haven't gotten your compressor yet, I am importing the Coltri Sub compressors. The small portable only runs $2750 and I can supply it with food grade synthetic oil so you can pump enriched air through it. Drop me a line at ray@rayzplace.com if you are interested.

the lakes in Ar. I like to dive.

Is that Arkansas? Arizona? Just wondering.

As for the compressor question, be sure you check pricing of replacement parts on any compressor you buy. In addition, find out what parts you can replace yourself and which you need to call a technician for (and how much THAT will be). You will need to maintain it---and saving $1000 when 2 years later you will need to shell out $700 for a new Condensate Drain and paying a tech $80/hr to install it.

rocketry:
You will need to maintain it---and saving $1000 when 2 years later you will need to shell out $700 for a new Condensate Drain and paying a tech $80/hr to install it.
Condensate drains go bad by getting gummed up. That is an indication of overall poor service, over heating, dirty conditions or cheap oil. I talked with a guy last week that has had Coltri MCH6 for almost 20 years and has never had any major work done. His secret is timely oil and inlet filter changes and keeping it cool.

Condensate drains go bad by getting gummed up. That is an indication of overall poor service, over heating, dirty conditions or cheap oil. I talked with a guy last week that has had Coltri MCH6 for almost 20 years and has never had any major work done. His secret is timely oil and inlet filter changes and keeping it cool.

I must be mistaken, then. I've heard some horror stories.

Oh ... you aren't entirely mistaken! I recently had a guy that completely trashed his filter cartridge within hours of my delivering teh compressor to him. Seems he trusted some guy that "knew how to run a compressor" while the group was diving and didn't do proper blowdowns. Plus, if you put your compressor away for a while without removing condensate from teh heads, the valves and rings can form a light coating of rust. That rust will eventually result in failure.

But take care of my babies, and they will take care of you!

rcontrera:
Oh ... you aren't entirely mistaken! I recently had a guy that completely trashed his filter cartridge within hours of my delivering teh compressor to him. Seems he trusted some guy that "knew how to run a compressor" while the group was diving and didn't do proper blowdowns. Plus, if you put your compressor away for a while without removing condensate from teh heads, the valves and rings can form a light coating of rust. That rust will eventually result in failure.

But take care of my babies, and they will take care of you!

"Blowdowns"? Do you mean draining the condensate at an appropriate time interval?

I've just never heard that term before.

rjack321:
"Blowdowns"? Do you mean draining the condensate at an appropriate time interval?

I've just never heard that term before.

That's exactly what the term means. Compressing air builds up a lot of condensate that is separatedfrom the air by a mechanical separator and that moisture needs to be removed ... either manually by opening a drain valve, or automatiaclly with an auto blowdown system.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom