Can anyone ID this

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tom wicker

Contributor
Reaction score
A new tank just setting in a corner just didn’t seem right to me at all and waiting on my second tank to return for hydro I got the jitters so off I went about a mile or so off shore. I came across a well how should I put it maybe a big firecracker I think or maybe not. Before any lectures it is hard to tell from this angle but the tail seems hollowed out I was hoping someone could do and ID on it for me I have done several searches and came up with nothing.

What I can offer is it was found off Orange beach where the dredging pumps where not long ago

Would anyone have any idea just what it is or what time era

http://wickersphotography.com/ID.jpg

This is what we call in my line of business a UXO. An UNEXPLODED Ord device. True this looks like a mortar round and probably been sitting in water a very long time, which makes the thing more dangerous than before. Please do yourself a favor and call the experts and have this thing rendered safe. Rendering safe might mean they blow it up, but you might live to make another dive.

ps They made them things to kill people and blow up equipment. The approximate lethal radius of this shell might be about 10 - 15 meters.

HEY!!,

It looks like a 60mm mortar round that has not been fired!!! In another words IT MAY BE LIVE!!

PM me or email me for help. I was a 11C/Mortars for 14 years.

SFC JC/ aka sandjeep IMLC-FT. Benning, GA Instructor/Ops NCO 93-96

Lots and lots of dummy bombs were dropped around Perdido Pass for testing. They wash up on the beaches occasionally from what I hear, I've never found one myself.

Pretty cool. Get it checked out to be sure, to be on the safe side.

Help in getting an ID that is. You still need to call experts in disposal.

I believe I have one of those sitting in my garage. It looks to be a 60mm mortar training round.

Man I agree with everyone else from my experience we would treat that as an UXO and call in EOD. My first thought when I saw it was Mortar round so I; wether live or not; would error on the side of caution and make a call to the experts. It is not worth someone getting hurt over. Either way for the sake of being curious make sure you post what decision you make and what becomes of this object. Be careful.

Oh by the way you would not be any kin to the diver on this board; that will remain unmentioned to protect the innocent, LOL that keeps finding unusual ordnance just laying around are you? Just kidding.

Carefull, that looks a lot like a hedgehog (WWII anti sub munition) to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom